Yes that is probably why

J_Palmer_Cass
Former Member
Message 742 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Peacekeeper wrote:

Does THIS help with the icon issue

No.

After you reboot, the icon is reinstalled on the desktop.

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 743 of 1,143

To All,

The desktop icon issue can be resolved. Search these boards for "desktop icon", you'll find a thread with a solution. The problem is in the registry, a script error associated with this "Access Protection" feature of McAfee 2010.

Peacekeeper
Message 744 of 1,143

That Link I posted was the fix. I wonder if you missed a step so can you retry it please. The fix is said to work so if not try a chat sessions from teh Technical support link in Useful links tab about. They can remote to your PC and do it for you.

davideo0
Former Member
Message 745 of 1,143

It worked for me!

No desktop icon!

David

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 746 of 1,143

To remove mcafee desktop icon  permanently   open mcafee > click on  navigation > click on " general settings & alerts " >  click "access protection"  then delete the desktop mcafee icon & once desktop  mcafee icon  is deleted  reenable the access protection . check whether u have the same problem  .

moop1519
Former Member
Message 747 of 1,143

Same for me! desktop short cut gone ,and since the last Mcafee update 4 days ago I have had no McSvHost error message

I would also like to thank Somer for her help in rectifying this issue.

Message was edited by: moop1519 on 5/23/10 8:19:43 AM CDT
edufrnslv
Former Member
Message 748 of 1,143

I am a user of McAfee Total Protection and upon the new 2010 version that was automatically installed from McAfee website to my PC without a permission or authorization my laptop presented Blue Screen Error Message on restart or shutdown.

My wife´s PC under the same license of McAfee (for up to 3 uesrs) did not presented the same and exactly blue screen error by the time mine did and sudenly almost 5 weeks later she realized McAfee was updating, information on the new version,  PC was running slow, she did a restart as the PC was locked and then bingo, her PC started to present blue screen error on shutdown or restart. Her PC as mine, had to be shutdown completely from the hard reset waiting a few seconds till the PC green lights goes down and stops.  I spend hours on the phone with level 1 and level 2 technicians, remote acess and so forth, reapeting over and over my problem for several weeks. I gave up, after a full disk format and Windows XP install, the blue screen error on my PC has gone, however this error message called "McSvcHost.exe did reference to 0x002a62104 at 0x00000000 the memory could not be read" is shown on my PC!!!.

This is annoying!

A question for the community: Besides changing from McAfee to Norton as a solution, what other alternative to fix dows anyone from this communitity could kindly recommend to me.

PS: My wife´s PC still has the blue screen error.

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 749 of 1,143

first may i know what type of operating system u hav is it windows xp , vista or win 7 ( 32 bit or 64 bit ).

Also try running mcafee virtual technician ( mvt ) through the useful links which is shown  at the top of this page .

also check whether you have any alternate antivirus installed in your computer (go to Start > controlpanel > programs & features > if you hav any 3rd party security antivirus or any alternate spyware or malware , adware protection just remove them ) .

edufrnslv
Former Member
Message 750 of 1,143

Hi,

In responde to your question:

My Windows is XP Professional. P3 installed. It is a Dell Computer. I do not have another anti-virus on my PC.

All previous runs of Virtual Technicial feature from the McAfee Support WebSite Page on the Web did not gave me any benefit at all.

Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community