Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saab900
Contributor
Message 731 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hi Folks,

So far I seem to be lucky compared to alot of you guys and gals, not had the close down message now for nearly two weeks.

i'm just waiting now to hear regarding my claim.

I have always had McAfee automatic updates switched on.

Although IE8 is my default browser for shortcuts, I prefer using Firefox when manually browsing and haven't so far experianced any problems.

I'm using 3.6.3.

I one thing I have noticed, considering I had windows re-installed after that Wednesday, it does take a little bit longer to close than I would expect considering alot of my old stuff has now gone due to the re-install.

However, so far so good.  I understand it must be a bit unnerving wondering if anything else will happened.

Hopefully this will be sorted out for everybody.

Regards   

dawgspaw
Former Member
Message 732 of 1,143

A message for Peacekeeper:  I believe you previously posted instructions about a work-around for the Mcsvhost shutdown error.  The instructions detailed how to turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.  Step 9 stated "BROWSE AND SELECT YOUR APPLICATION'.  I tried to do this but wasn't sure what I should be looking for when I browse.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  

Peacekeeper
Message 733 of 1,143

c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mcsvchost\then mcsvhost.exe

Gene
Former Member
Message 734 of 1,143

I hadn't noticed when I posted the message about Firefox, but my problem disappeared after the most recent update, a couple of days ago.

MagicLight
Contributor
Message 735 of 1,143

Do like what I am going to do.  Switch to Norton when this subscription runs out.  I have nothing but problem after problem with the 2010 version.  And promises after promises of a fix.  Still getting error messages on my XP systems and the icon on the desk top never goes away.  Vista seems to be OK.  But for all the hassles and problems I suggest switching to another software as the real solution.

saab900
Contributor
Message 736 of 1,143

Hi Folks,

Why did I open my big mouth !!!! lol

After nearly two weeks and yesterday saying I've had nothing, what happens ?

Yep, got the message on closedown last night.

C'est la vie.

regards

Gene
Former Member
Message 737 of 1,143

MagicLight wrote:

...the icon on the desk top never goes away.

Do you mean the icon in the system tray? If so, does that really bother you? It's reassurance to me -- and I believe Norton has one too (at least it used to).

If you're really talking about a desktop icon, all you do is right click on it and choose delete. I have no McAfee icon on my desktop.

cburrows
Former Member
Message 738 of 1,143

I too have the McAfee Icon on my desktop.  I have deleted it many times only to have it come back after a couple of McAfee updates.  This is a problem I never had with McAfee 2009.  It seems that it is a way for McAfee to force you to have there Icon on your desktop.  I am running both XP and Vista on two different computers and the desktop Icon is a problem on both although the McSvHost.exe error when shutting down only happens on the XP computer.  Two separate issues.  I can put up with the desktop icon if they can just get rid of that dam McSvHost.exe error when I shut down!

Message was edited by: cburrows on 5/21/10 4:43:00 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 739 of 1,143

Does THIS help with the icon issue

Gene
Former Member
Message 740 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Does THIS help with the icon issue

I wonder why I never had that problem. Maybe it's the installer question about creating a desktop icon. I always deselect that option on every program I install.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community