Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe-User
Former Member
Message 721 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I fixed it >>

In the Web and E-mail Protection / Firewall / Security Levels section, I changed it to "Stealth Mode" and now everything seems to works fine.

I've shut down computer ten times after surfing the Internet viewing movies, news, e-mails, etc.. and no more memory shutdwon errors. I can also now change program permissions as needed.

In my case I had to first turn off the Anti-Spam feature before it would allow me to switch to Steach Mode.

The Security Levels "Outgoing Access" seems to be the problem on my XP update 3 w/IE 8 , or there is something in the program permissions that's making it the problem when outgoing access is used.

I will check it out more and see what I can find.

Joe

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 722 of 1,143

I've just heard back from the decision makers.  They have a fix for this issue scheduled for the last half of June (a month from now).

I hope this information helps to address your concerns.

Peacekeeper
Message 723 of 1,143

Batty re wifi thought of updating the drivers if any available? Re missing your question it can happen been here since day 1 so I am as tired of this as you all are.

Joeuser I changed my access from outgoing to stealth and it changed without a problem. No need to change antispam setting. Re full when set to outgoung I feel that is set to full for programs mcafee recognise.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 20/05/10 6:38:04 AM
Gene
Former Member
Message 724 of 1,143

Brattyknight wrote:

...other problems I had was McAfee Agent was using alot of cpu cycles and memory and at times the simplest of task would bog down and my pc would momentarily freeze up the problems would just continue...

...I removed the 2010 version and replaced it with my 2009 version after installing I then turned off automatic updates and now manually update...

Maybe you've added something else to the mix. Lately Firefox freezes quite often when loading a web page. It will eventually load, but sometimes it takes an extended time -- 30 seconds to a minute before it actually starts loading the page. I never connected it with the MaAfee update, but it started happening very recently, so maybe it is. During the time Firefox is frozen, no part of Firefox works and if I click on the title bar, Windows reports the program is not responding.

That has become a lot more of an aggravation than the mcsvhost error message.

I'm very reluctant to turn off automatic updates. New signature files are released every day, sometimes twice, and knowing myself I would never do an manual update that often. Even with all the other problems, McAfee is still protecting my computer.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/19/10 5:19:36 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/19/10 5:23:11 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/19/10 8:43:55 PM CDT
Brattyknight
Former Member
Message 725 of 1,143

Gene,

The high cpu cycles and memory use would and will cause all programs to momentarily freeze as there is no free cpu or memory to execute the request your problem with Firefox could be a small indication of this occurring

As for manual updates McAfee will alert you on day 5 of out of date and will instruct you to check for updates even if you turn off automatic updates your computer will still be protected I have been running my computer with automatic updates turned off for a little over 3 weeks now and have bee all over the net with no problems and no freeze ups when doing a full system scan like some have been having with the 2010 version

Steerpike_ca

The last part of June, why so long is this for real or are you just trying to settle down the all the user's and customers who are just tired of the excuses and just a little pissed off, with every right to be, if McAfee truly has a proper fix for this then they should be able to release it with the next update not sometime with in the next 30 days sorry I don't buy it

Peacekeeper,

All my drivers for my hardware and Motherboard are all up to date, and before you ask or suggest that maybe the updated drivers might be the cause they are not I thought of that already. Just a little background info on my other half, they have over 12+ years of computer repair and upgrading

Message was edited by: Brattyknight on 5/19/10 8:53:39 PM PDT

Message was edited by: Brattyknight on 5/19/10 9:01:47 PM PDT
Ewaaa
Former Member
Message 726 of 1,143

I also have the same problem exactly as described in the first posts.

What is the solution?

davideo0
Former Member
Message 727 of 1,143

Just to add my own experience.

My computer uses Windows XP Home, 2 gigs RAM, Nvidia 9800.

Exactly the same symptoms as previous posters.

I also notice that automatic updates occur with little relation to the times I set.

The percentage indication remains at 0% throughout the download and only indicates 0% to 100% when installing the update. If this is intentional, why have the percentage indicator showing  at all during the download?

David

Peacekeeper
Message 728 of 1,143

The % issue is really only cosmetic I will pass this onto the beta team as they can check these things out faster.

The issue re the shutdown message will be fixed by mid June but we mods and McAfee techs are trying to get it fast tracked.

the updates improve in version 10.5 out on some country  servers cf Australia for 1. If you do not touch your PC for 15 mins it should update mine does. Same with scheduled scans. The smart timer feature seems to interfere with updates so in 10.5 the tests to check if the program can start updating has changed in this version.

davideo0
Former Member
Message 729 of 1,143

Peacekeeper

Thanks for the info.

I hope the remedy will be soon.

It's all rather unnerving.

David

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 730 of 1,143

My experience with the ‘DEP exclusion’ work around is that while it reduces the occurrence of this error, it does not totally eliminate it; as the message still occasionally appears at closing (albeit much less frequently).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community