Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gene
Former Member
Message 711 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

celtkub wrote:

Hence, three days ago I opted to open Task Manager to terminate the application prior to shutting the computer down. I've done that every time I turn off the computer (which is several times a day) since May 13 and am pleased to report that the shut down error --knock wood--- has not re-occurred.

Why bother with all that? It's easier to just shutdown. The error message will display for several seconds and then the computer will shut down anyway. I think you're putting yourself to unnecessary trouble with no significant benefit.

celtkub
Former Member
Message 712 of 1,143

Actually Gene, it's not a big deal.  "All that" takes less than 30 seconds and it spares me the aggravation of having to worry about whether the error on shutdown will re-appear. I like my computer to run smoothly without errors cropping up, and ever since I chose to terminate the McSvHost.exe manually, I no longer see the error.  It works like a charm, though granted I would much prefer it if McAfee would fix the problem, but based on the posters' interactions with McAfee, as posted on this board, their "support" staff is not very cooperative. Anyway, I'm hoping that Peacekeeper (or anyone) will persuade them to debug the program. Thanks for your input.

Peacekeeper
Message 713 of 1,143

They are debugging the issue I now have 2 pCs with it on for them to use as outside testing. Will keep you all informed of any movement here.

Gene
Former Member
Message 714 of 1,143

celtkub wrote:

Actually Gene, it's not a big deal.  "All that" takes less than 30 seconds and it spares me the aggravation of having to worry about whether the error on shutdown will re-appear. I like my computer to run smoothly without errors cropping up, and ever since I chose to terminate the McSvHost.exe manually, I no longer see the error.  It works like a charm, though granted I would much prefer it if McAfee would fix the problem, but based on the posters' interactions with McAfee, as posted on this board, their "support" staff is not very cooperative. Anyway, I'm hoping that Peacekeeper (or anyone) will persuade them to debug the program. Thanks for your input.

If you don't mind doing it, that's fine, but Windows terminates the program during shutdown, which is the reason for the error message. You're doing manually what would be done automatically by Windows.

You can just choose "shutdown" and walk away. Your computer will shut down and you'll never see the error message.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/18/10 8:08:49 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/18/10 8:09:25 PM CDT
Brattyknight
Former Member
Message 715 of 1,143

Hi Everybody,

Oh where to begin, I just want to let everybody know that I had this problem and have resolved it by manually rolling my pc back to the 2009 version and before some of you start saying that this is not an option you have my sincere appoliges a few weeks back I sent a private message to Peacekeeper about all the problems I had after the auto update to the 2010 version and since I have not recieved any acknowledgement from Peacekeeper concearning the private message I would like to let you all know the problems I had after reading the recent post I have noticed that some of you were experencing some of the same problems I had encountered I use a wifi connection and after the update I noticed that my connection was buggy and at times I couldn't even connect, other problems I had was McAfee Agent was using alot of cpu cycles and memory and at times the simplest of task would bog down and my pc would momentarily freeze up the problems would just continue and I would have to shutdown and restart my pc a little to often I have tried all the suggested workarounds and supposed fixes all withe the same problems returning but I can now say for sure that the 2010 version is filled with bugs and needs to be removed from circulation it has been over 3 weeks since I removed the 2010 version and replaced it with my 2009 version after installing I then turned off automatic updates and now manually update I have had none of the problems return and my pc is back to running like new I believe for a fact that someone associated with McAfee wether it be a mod or betatester or even some higher up the chain will disagree with me so be it but one thing is for sure I don't have the error or other problems like I did before.

Somer,

In your post # 776 I think you stated that this affected xp machines with sp3 on them this is not the case my pc setup is as follows winxp pro with only sp2 I did not update to sp3 until just a couple of days ago 1gb ram 2.4 Ghz Intel processor

McAfee,

You and your programmers need to get off you butts and resolve this now not just let your mods and betatesters take all the heat if you had any decent customer care then you would put  your programmers out here on the chopping block I have been a McAfee product user since mid 1984 and was hoping for a fix to have been realeased by now but no such thing guess I will have to consider a competitors product if a fix is not coming soon and like I stated in a previous post it appears to me that McAfee is beginning to look and sound and even act like M$ and we all know what happen to them after their big fiasco the best thing you can do is roll your remaining customers back to the 2009 version until the 2010 buggy version and yes I mean buggy is fixed or you can continue to sit there and watch your profits slowly disappear as more and more customers leave

hollywoodboy
Former Member
Message 716 of 1,143

Wow! I've never seen a sentence that long before.

For the "reading challenged" people like me, I think I've deciphered it with proper punctuation:

"Hi Everybody,

Oh where to begin. I just want to let everybody know that I had this problem and have resolved it by manually rolling my pc back to the 2009 version and before some of you start saying that this is not an option, you have my sincere appoliges a few weeks back. I sent a private message to Peacekeeper about all the problems I had after the auto update to the 2010 version and since. I have not recieved any acknowledgement from Peacekeeper concerning the private message. I would like to let you all know the problems I had after reading the recent post. I have noticed that some of you were experencing some of the same problems. I HAD ENCOUNTERED!  I use a wifi connection and after the update, I noticed that my connection was buggy and at times I couldn't even connect other problems. I had was McAfee Agent, was using alot of cpu cycles and memory and at times the simplest of task would bog down and my pc would momentarily freeze up the problems. Would just continue and I would have to shutdown and restart my pc a little too. Often I have tried all the suggested workarounds and supposed fixes, all with the same problems returning but I can now say for sure that the 2010 version is filled with bugs and needs to be removed. From circulation, it has been over 3 weeks since I removed the 2010 version and replaced it with my 2009 version after installing. I then turned off automatic updates and now manually update I have had. None of the problems return and my pc is back to running like new, I believe. For a fact that someone associated with McAfee, whether it be a mod or betatester or even some higher up the chain will. Disagree with me? So be it, but one thing is. For sure, I don't have the error or other problems like I did before.

Somer,

In your post # 776 I think you stated that this affected xp machines with sp3. On them, this is not the case. My pc setup is as follows:  winxp pro with only sp2. I did not update to sp3. Until just a couple of days ago, 1gb ram 2.4 Ghz Intel processor.

McAfee,

You and your programmers need to get off you butts and resolve this now, not just let your mods and betatesters take all the heat if you had any decent customer care. Then you would put your programmers out here on the chopping block I have. Been a McAfee product user since mid 1984 and was hoping for a fix to have been realeased by now, but no such thing. Guess I will have to consider a competitors product. If a fix is not coming soon and, like I stated in a previous post, it appears to me that McAfee is beginning to look and sound and even act like M$ (and we all know what happen to them). After their big fiasco, the best thing you can do is roll your remaining customers back to the 2009 version until the 2010 buggy version (and yes I mean buggy) is fixed or you can continue to sit there and watch your profits slowly disappear as more and more customers leave."

Peacekeeper
Message 717 of 1,143

Hmm remember your PM though I do say no unrequested PMs for a reason. Both peter and I are against having them as the option can be abused and better to ask questions in the forum. I should have replied so doing so now.

The mcsvhost issue I feel is getting near being fixed I am awaiting a copy of the fix (if they will give it to me that is) to trial on the 2 PCs I have with the error.

Mcagent using high cycles can be a clash with other Av software bits and pieces left on the PC did you have any othet AV installed including registered versions of some of the free malware products? I haven't come across network issues though I do not have wifi so it is possible. The only network issue are uploading slowed (fixed) and network icons in my home network dissapear (to be fixed in a later patch). We have 2 other users with high cpu/memory issue s and after we find out why I will let you know.

When you manually update what stops macfee updating the program?

J_Palmer_Cass
Former Member
Message 718 of 1,143

The McSvHost warning has shown up only once, but a new McAgent problem has shown up upon closing Windows XP 2 times.

I also still get the DWWE.EXE warning most of the time.

It also looks like my DVD playback is now very jerky since the 2010 update!

Joe-User
Former Member
Message 719 of 1,143

I've got same McSvHost memory error shutdown problem, and I found somethinhg else maybe related?

In the McAfee "Web E-mail Protection / Firewal /Security Levels" it's checked as "Outgoing Access (recommended). However in the program permissions section, everything is market at full permisssion. I've tried several times to change to "outbound access only" and tried setting the defaults, and nothing changes. Then I tried to manually change permissions to outgoing access only and error message comes up. I can't change them. Before this updated to teh new version, I used Stealth

Also I noticed that ever since this updated to the new version, my mouse hangs often.  Something keeps trying to access something

Anybody else have those same problems associated with this?

Brattyknight
Former Member
Message 720 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

As I stated I have been a McAfee user since mid 1984, McAfee is all I have ever used and the high cpu cycles and memory use have returned even after a complete reformat and fresh clean install of Os and McAfee, so bits and pieces of any other av is highly unlikely.

When I manually update only 5 of the components update Security Center it's self, Virus, Firewall, Anti-Spam and Network at first, then after that it only checks for Virus, Firewall and Security Center.

As for the network all I can say is it really messes up the wifi connections, I don't have any Pc's on a hard wire config so no way of testing that.

As for the PM, yes your right you have requested no unsolicited PM's and as I stated in that PM here are some more issues for you to pass along to those working on the problem, and if you look back though the hundreds of messages in this post, you will see that I had asked a question in one of my postings, that either you or Somer could have answered, but did I receive a response from either of you....NO!

The time for excuses is over it's time for McAfee to step up and put their Techs and Programmers out here in the forum, and I mean ones here in the U.S., not ones half-way around the world who read from scripts or cue cards. McAfee's headquarters is just a few hours drive from me and a few hundred other user's, but when we call their local support numbers, our calls are routed half way around the world, this is called outsourcing and it's what companies do to supposedly cut cost and overhead, but in all actually it is to create higher profits. Profits which I see slowly drifting away with each and every customer who leaves McAfee. McAfee do you really care about your customers?, if so then step up and put a few of your Tech's and Programmers out here in the forums, where they can interact with the users and the community. McAfee, If you can't do that then IMO your only concern is all about the profits.

Peacekeeper, Somer, and Ex-Brit if you all truly want to help everybody, then print out this thread and forward it to the Executives in charge and stop making excuses for them

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community