cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J_Palmer_Cass
Former Member
Message 701 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I have the same problem.  I had Internet Security 2009, and McAfee updated my version to 2010 last week.  Windows XP 1.5 GB of memory..

I have the McSvHost.exe problem at shutdown off and on.  In addition I now have a DWWIN.exe problem at shutdown plus another note that I can not read.  These messages are shown at shutdown prior to the McScHost.exe message.  Hard to read messages as they are real quick on the display.

Also, at startup the McAfee icon disappers from the desktop for 10 to 20 seconds.  This just started yesterday after an update.

These problems all started right after the update to the 2010 version.

Peacekeeper
Message 702 of 1,143

Re DWWIN.exe

Try http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/windows/dwwin-exe-dll-initialization-failed-shutdo-3503.html

Have you an older adobe acrobat installed ie version 7? There are a lot of posts on google re this error.

Re the issue this thread is about it was mentioned that they feel they know the cause. I am trying to get a copy of the fix to try on my son in Law's PC so will get back to you.

freddd
Former Member
Message 703 of 1,143

MCSVHOST.EXE CAUSES ERROR ON SHUTDOWN:

To fix the application error mcsvhost.exe rum two scripts before shutdown the computer and for more easier run the scripts save them on the desktop

First script:

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq McSvHost.exe

pause

exit

this script give you the pid number of the process McSvHost.exe

Second script:

net stop msk80service

taskkill /pid nnnn /F

exit

where nnnn is the pid number of the process McSvHost.exe gave by the first script

This is not a solution from McAfee but works

Gene
Former Member
Message 704 of 1,143

freddd wrote:

MCSVHOST.EXE CAUSES ERROR ON SHUTDOWN:

To fix the application error mcsvhost.exe rum two scripts before shutdown the computer and for more easier run the scripts save them on the desktop

First script:

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq McSvHost.exe

pause

exit

this script give you the pid number of the process McSvHost.exe

Second script:

net stop msk80service

taskkill /pid nnnn /F

exit

where nnnn is the pid number of the process McSvHost.exe gave by the first script

This is not a solution from McAfee but works

Interesting exercise, but it's a lot easier to click ok when the error message appears, if it does. Sometimes it doesn't.

I just received an automatic update of the program (reboot required). Maybe it's fixed. We'll see.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/17/10 7:14:19 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 705 of 1,143

Not that we have been told

Peacekeeper
Message 706 of 1,143

Not sure if this is wirth crowing about re Mcsvhost error but

Back A bit I mentioned I went out and bought an old PC with XP so I could test it and mcafee's interaction. Well 2 weeks after setting up I got my 1st shutdown error. The box is pristine and unchanged from day1. Only mcafee updates added daily or MS updates added. There has been no surfing etc so at least I have a test box to run Mcafee's fix when it comes rather than begging some1 to test it. Also saves me trying it on my Son in Law's PC.

Fingers crossed for a fix soon. Oh the delay in shutdown was 10 secs in fact would have missed it if I looked away.

Nikolai
Former Member
Message 707 of 1,143

Good idea on turning off the auto renewal - but I had the same experience as Nisa51, the only option available to shut this off now is to get in touch with customer service, I cut and paste the options from my screen below

You can turn Auto-Renewal on for the subscriptions listed on this page.

McAfee recommends that you keep Auto-Renewal on so that you’re never without protection. If you want to turn Auto-Renewal off, contact Customer Service

So... I had a very long conversation with a nice lady in customer service who apologised for the option to cancel auto renewal not being available on the website. She said she would escalate this to her manager. I then cancelled. I also told her about the reason why. She offered to transfer me to technical support but I don't have all day to have another unhappy experience...

Ho, hum

J_Palmer_Cass
Former Member
Message 708 of 1,143

With the latest update, the McSvHost problem pop up message is gone.

That leaves me with the DWWIN.EXE message at closing.  If I turn off real time scanning, I can exit Windows XP with no message DWWIN.EXE failure to initiate message.  I did have version 8 for the Adobe reader, and I did the upgrade to 9.3.  No difference in behavior.  This DWWIN.EXE problem was never there before the McAfee update from version 2009 to 2010.  McAfee did the update without asking me, so they can fix the problem.

The desktop icon for McAfee is also a pain in the rear.  If you move the icon from the "end of line" position on the desktop, upon the next startup the original icon is deleted and a new one pops up at the end of the line.

Gene
Former Member
Message 709 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Not that we have been told

Well, I had a few minutes of hope, anyway.

Shortly after I left that message, I closed down for the night and got the error message.

Gene
Former Member
Message 710 of 1,143

J_Palmer_Cass wrote:

With the latest update, the McSvHost problem pop up message is gone.

Don't count on it. I've gone 3 or 4 shutdowns in a row without the error message, and then it returns. I think it will take more than 1 or 2 shutdowns to have confidence that it's gone.

The first time I got the error was around 2 weeks after the 2010 version was installed by automatic update. This is not an "every time" problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community