Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n6wk
Former Member
Message 551 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

"Just a note...

I ran "Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner" and it  returned the following registry error:

HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSC\NMC\Url"

I went in and DELETED this entry from my registry.

I have not had the error since and it has been 3 days now.

I had to edit the registry using Safe mode because otherwise, it would not let me delete or modify that setting.

Thanks for the tip.

Message was edited by: n6wk on 5/4/10 2:58:49 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 552 of 1,143

That was my next thought will pass that on.

Mullie
Former Member
Message 553 of 1,143

why R McAfee still selling 2010 although at 50% off  http://www.mcafeestore.com/v2.0-img/operations/mcafeeuk/site/paidSearch/microsite/2010/50/index.html is this not negligent of them ???

wolfsumoto
Former Member
Message 554 of 1,143

Are you using winxp pro sp3?

n6wk
Former Member
Message 555 of 1,143

Yes, Windows XP Pro with SP3 on a Dell laptop

Message was edited by: n6wk on 5/4/10 5:27:39 PM CDT
Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 556 of 1,143

I believe you may be referring to the same memory write error my limited users are receiving. It's not related to your network connection at all. It's likely a script error. McAfee had the same problem with it's 2007 version, requiring more access to the hard drive, access denied limited users.

Do you have non-administrator accounts on your server? Multiple users? You may be getting the remnant of their errors.

Nikolai
Former Member
Message 557 of 1,143

Been following this thread for some time and just thought I'd leave the silent minority (majority?) to say that I've also had this 0x6280436a issue since 2010 was installed (now v10.0.580, from my account at Mcafee) on my XP Home SP3 (clean install) machine (P4 3.2GHz / 2.00GB / IE8 / Office XP Pro 2002 - not Outlook). Same intermittent issues as others - not critical but a real pain and kind of reduces your faith in the product that this hasn't been fixed yet.

I have 2010 installed on Vista 32 bit and Win 7 64 bit machines and have no problems on those.

Did manage to bin the persistent icon though courtesy of trailing through the thread (thanks Quaffa / Peacekeeper)

I'll keep watching when I've got the time....

Peacekeeper
Message 558 of 1,143

Just to update you worked on my Son in Laws PC today his has the issue my Daughter PC hasn't. Both have the registry key present mentioned above and the mentioned file not present. I extracted 2 MER program logs (Mcafee diagnostic tool) and sent them to the forum admin. I then uninstalled then reinstalled Mcafee via the MCPR removal tool and took a new MER log.

Since the install and 10 reboots(cold 1s) narry a popup but I do not hold hope as others here have tried this without success. Admin connecting into the PC tomorrow morning so see what he sees.

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 559 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Just to update you worked on my Son in Laws PC today his has the issue my Daughter PC hasn't. Both have the registry key present mentioned above and the mentioned file not present. I extracted 2 MER program logs (Mcafee diagnostic tool) and sent them to the forum admin. I then uninstalled then reinstalled Mcafee via the MCPR removal tool and took a new MER log.

Since the install and 10 reboots(cold 1s) narry a popup but I do not hold hope as others here have tried this without success. Admin connecting into the PC tomorrow morning so see what he sees.

You are right,those registry entries as I have mentioned in earlier post are buggy.Removing them forcibly works or as you have tried reinstalling also works without the error.

As I said earlier I did not notice this shut down error the day I installed afresh the 2010(I have done this more than 3 times to test).But the error starts popping up after we download updates.Hope you can try updating your fresh install & see if the error comes back.Removing entries from registry might work as long as the same entries are not re-entered by Mcafee updates,right??

Thanks for passing on my suggestions to Mcafee Fix team,but I am wondering why haven't they even replied here whatever came out of those suggestions.Doubt did they even try them??????

In the meantime users while Mcafee is trying hard to fix this & find a solution soooooooooooooon,you can now

1.Relax your crossed fingers(it has been too long & might be painful & may get permanently deformed),instead stretch them out to ease tension.

2.You can if you want just fold your hands & wait for the fix.

3.As this is just a popup before shutting down(not causing any problems) bear with that,don't even imagine what if some 10 processes from 10 other applications running on your PC throws similar errors,very scary

4.This popup was supposed to ask you "Do you realy want to shut down your computer" instead due to typo it is showing as some error.You are used to getting errors like this "Keyboard not found,press any key to continue",right??

This suggestion now is serious,can any one come out with a batch file which can be placed on the users desktop which when cliked closes all running Mcafee services before starting shutting down the computer,atleast for temporary solution??

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 560 of 1,143

Only me on this pc windows xp sp3

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community