cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hollywoodboy
Former Member
Message 531 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Yes, that's what happens. This error only adds a short amount of time to my PC's shutdown process.

I think it's just that there's something wrong with the software at all that bothers me. Makes me think "what else is wrong with it? What else is this new version doing wrong on my PC?" Like when my CHECK ENGINE light stays on in my car and I take it to the mechanic. He can't find the problem and tells me "It's not a big deal. Your car still runs, gets you from place to place, right?" Well yes, he's right. But that doesn't change the fact that something is wrong and that the light shouldn't be on at all. It makes me think "what else could be going wrong under my hood?"

I'm the kind of person who'd rather cut the wire (or pull the fuse) so I don't have to look at it until they can fix it  lol!

In this case, I'd rather just switch to Norton or other antivirus software until they get all the bugs worked out of this new 2010 version. I'll gladly uninstall McAfee and they can freeze my subscription so I can't use it, then notify me when it's fixed so I can switch back.

on 5/2/10 1:25:22 AM CDT
georgieb
Former Member
Message 532 of 1,143

I agree ! It's the not knowing "Is there something else going ?" Spent the last hour reading these posts & it's not comforting. In any case, just adding myself to the list.

Have XP SP3 Pro on a Dell Laptop; all versions of net framework up-to-date. "Error on Shutdown" message started popping up after the automatic update took me to the McAfee 2010 version last Thursday & occurs on every shutdown.  I guess "wait & see" for now (cause I'm certainly not pulling any fuses, e.g. mucking with the registry or anything else), wiith the hope that a solution will be forthcoming.

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 533 of 1,143

Hi Further to my request with Mcafee in my earlier post 584.

While awaiting for them to provide the info requested to suggest a probable fix,I wish to explain some more observations I have made to Mcafee developers to consider for investigating & testing.

One thing was clear to me that my system did not start giving this error message immediately after I was updated to 2010,it worked fine for 4 days without errors.Remember I always use manual update method for my Mcafee & do not use autoupdate.It was only when I updated manually on the 5th day the error started appearing.I have dug around & found the following versions of Mcsvhost.exe(I presume the lower the number is the older the version,am I right?).

It becomes evident that the first version(which ever was the number McAfee developers know for sure) which came bundled with the very first update to 2010 worked fine until an update was made on the 5 th day(in my case) which also included a different version of the same Mcsvhost.exe. This update might have been made probably for bug fixes or adding some more improvements, I don't know.

My further suggestion is for Mcafee to provide atleast to some of us in this forum a method to install that first file version(oldest) of Mcsvhost.exe to check if it fixes the problem without doing any updates for few days.Mcafee can also do the same trials on their test rigs to see which version of the Mcsvchost created this problem.Hope this helps Mcafee developers further.But one thing for sure,if we don't get proper response or help from Mcafee for our suggestions in time,finally we will run out of enthusiasm to try to suggest some fix too.

File versions of McSvHost.exe

Version number     MD5 Hash from McSvHost.exe                 Size

1.0.162.0         125CA51C592DE257EB4700B428EB93BC      359,7 KB

1.0.162.0         B7BB50DE2E7E7174C02FB96F16822D50       274,2 KB

1.0.180.0         E4421EE8DAC8AD4CCCF6090C9EA52211     347,1 KB

1.0.180.0         4175775A62EE719752B7867470BAD409         265,1 KB

hollywoodboy
Former Member
Message 534 of 1,143

Just a note...

I ran "Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner" and it returned the following registry error:

HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSC\NMC\Url

When I reboot my PC the error is right back again.

I looked up this registry key with REGEDIT and its value is:

misp://C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\McNmcUI.dll::nmc.htm

I then browsed to the above folder, but the file "McNmcUI.dll" doesn't exist.

I tried doing a search for it on my entire harddrive, but it doesn't exist.

I then ran the McAfee Virtual Technician, but it returned no errors.

Don't know if this is related to my "...could not be written" error or not. Just letting everyone know.

Message was edited by: hollywoodboy on 5/2/10 5:19:08 PM CDT
edward54
Former Member
Message 535 of 1,143

Forget about it! Best you can do is uninstall McAfee and install an alternative security system and reinstall McAfee later when all issues are resolve.

whschul
Former Member
Message 536 of 1,143

Well, the last of the my XP SP3 sucummed to this  issue.  Don't know why it lasted this long without this error, but

currently my last XP SP3 system is now showing the shutdown error....

Quinion
Contributor
Message 537 of 1,143

I too have ran "Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner" and it returns the same registry error:

HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSC\NMC\Url  (which it can't fix)..

Strange..!

(and I am still getting the error message on shutdown).

edward54
Former Member
Message 538 of 1,143

Try a more aggresive security software like Norton Internet Security 2010 (there are promos with 90 days free use). My XP SP3 now works like a charm since I installed Norton. Try it, you've got nothing to lose.

Peacekeeper
Message 539 of 1,143

Though I do not condone the slow fix time for this issue enough posts re suggesting another scanner . It is against the rules of the forum to do so.

What I cannot see is my son in law seems to have had this issue for ages but as he shuts down by shut down (click on it) and then turns off the monitor he never saw it. So issue is annoying not data destroying.

Jack-san
Former Member
Message 540 of 1,143

Been reading with interest.  I have had the same problem with a recent upgrade to 2010 on my Dell Dimension (Core 2 6300) running SP3.  I downloaded it from the McAfee site.  I recently received a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 with, get this, Security Centre 2009 installed!

Like everyone else, I have had the intermittent problem at shut down.  I agree it is annoying and places doubts in my mind.  Like the previous postings, I ran Malwarebytes and it found the two odd McAfee files the most recent poster noted.  I deleted those and the Dimension shut down without the error.

I will sit tight and wait for news of a fix or a message saying McAfee will let us download 2009 from its site while it fixes 2010 for us XP users.  (I guess this is what I was doing if I was making the decisions at McAfee).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community