Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_78861
Former Member
Message 461 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hi,

I'm recently updated with McAfee Internet Security version 10.0.580 and received the 'McSvHost.exe error on shutdown'.

I'm running XP pro SP3.

I've run the CCleaner program (V2.29.1111), did a register-scan and register clean-up (after backing-up) and the error IS GONE.

CCleaner found a lot of errors in the register regarding McAfee.

Hope this will help !?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 462 of 1,143

That's an interesting solution F@t@lError, thanks for posting.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/04/10 11:05:26 EDT AM
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 463 of 1,143

I use CCleaner every week and clean up the registry, Still get the error on shutdown.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 464 of 1,143

Me too. CCleaner also finds lots of junk that MCPR.exe doesn't find after uninstall of McAfee. AVG also finds viruses that McAfee never found. Fascinating, huh?

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 465 of 1,143

yes thats right the MCPR did not clean up before installing, I used the CCleaner to clean it up before installing.

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 466 of 1,143

Ex_Brit wrote:

PCFriend wrote:

Who gave them (Mcafee) permission to upgrade to 2010 version without the real owner of the software who has purchased the 2009 version asking for it.They are supposed to update only virus & malicious program DAT files,am I right??

You did when you downloaded it was assumed you had read the EULA where basically it says the software remains McAfee's property...you can check it out on the account download page.

Wow!!!! Ex_Brit wants the common consumers to spend additional $$$$ & hire a lawyer to put that EU(useless)LA(Law) in common man's head in simple terms every time he buys something.

People are discussing here with an intention of how to make these product vendors(especially the one's from IT sector) turn their attention to the most important & missing factor "Quality Control & Quality assurance" instead of taking shelter under some EULA & sell poor quality stuff to the consumer & make they pay for it & pay more for corrections\damages too.

Does EULA help in anyway a consumer to suffer less or claim damages??

Try & compare the levels of quality standards that are being met by example:Manufacturing Industry & compare it with the miniscule levels of standards of software industry to get a better understanding of the plight of the innocent consumer.Try to force these software guys to ensure they meet certain standards which benefits the end user.

Please read this (another Mcafee mess) to understand to what extent the quality of software products have gone down & how much the consumer is put to trouble & loses.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36714066/ns/technology_and_science-security/

Think out of the box & think as a consumer if at all we want to see some +ve results.We are talikng here of not only Mcafee but all software industry as a whole keeping in mind the consumer who pays.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 467 of 1,143

That's it.  Whatever help I would have provided is being expended elsewhere.   No need for that at all.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 468 of 1,143

Maybe I can clear some of this up for you PC.

EULAs in general exist to define the terms of use of the application. What you actually purchase is a service, a subscription. But the more important question (I thought) was: why did we upgrade you?

In 2009 more new viruses and threats were identified than in the 5 years prior to 2009 combined. That's not a sound bite, that's exponential growth. The products have to grow to stay ahead of them. The 2010 product doesn't just look different, it has new features 2009 didn't have. We do work hard to keep a lot of 'backwards compatability' with old OS and computers, but to give you an example, why would we use resources re-engineering everything that works on a Vista machine to work on Windows ME? By the same token, Microsoft (and all the vendors, as you pointed out) do this. They legacy older products to try and move you to a newer, hopefully better, preferably more secure newer option; both to give you this newer (hopefully better) thing, but also yes, to move the market forward. We have to stay in business, so we must innovate, create new products, and sell them. When you subscribe to our service, you get the upgrade automatically when the new version comes out. Most of our customers really liked the upgrade, and they really liked not having to go out and buy it seperately.

Regarding your other questions and comments, McAfee doesn't have a habit of things like this happening. We're working around the clock to try and get every single person affected back up and running. I totally understand your frustration, but we absolutely are working to make it right. So I suppose that's the answer: We upgraded to try and give you something better. We want to keep trying, and succeed in giving you something better. We want to solve this and make sure it never happens again.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 469 of 1,143

PC Friend,

Great article putting the spotlight on yet more incompetence from McAfee. Thanks for linking us.

craig2cso
Former Member
Message 470 of 1,143

Ok, I have been following this thread for the past week in hopes of something "productive" coming out of it...you see, both my Dell laptop and Dell desktop was working beautifully with Mcafee up until it auto-upgraded itself to version 10...now, I experience the same problem on BOTH machines (i.e. blue screen on shutdown). It is ridiculous to express the suggestions to re-install / uninstall anything with regards to this problem, especially the OS. I don't know how many developers Mcafee employs, but I can tell you it shouldn't take 3 to 4 months to resolve this issue! What I have done is uninstalled Mcafee from my laptop and installed TrendMicro, since that is the machine I use the most, but left Mcafee 10 on my desktop for experimental purposes. All of the EULA b/s and other ridiculous suggestions to ignore the error / try this/ try that / BETA this / BETA that is just plain STUPID, and in no way HELPS anyone...this is Mcafee's problem, and protesting them is what we should be doing. NOT trying to solve this ourselves. And as for Mcafee tech support - oh wow, is all I can say.  Mcafee - hear ME NOW - if you are working around the clock, and it is taking you this long, obviously there's a breakdown in your QoS pipeline! What I did do to remedy the problem on my desktop is to do a system restore, and that brought the 9 version back, which works fine. AND I turned off automatic updates until this issue is fixed!

From what I can tell this problem affects Dell computers more than any other brand...How about contacting the manufacturer and working it out with them????

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community