Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adityas12
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee eating up too much RAM!!

mcafee.jpg

As you can see above mcfee is eating up around 260MB of RAM in idle mode.Now my PC is pretty high end with 8 GB RAM but this looks to be a memory leak issue as after 6 hrs of continous usage it shoots up to 800MB at times.My Security Center is at 12.1.I am running total protection 2013 which I recently purchased.How do I fix this issue?

3 Replies
maxp
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee eating up too much RAM!!

Me too. quad core 64 bit system running 8 GB RAM and fresh install on new hard drive of Windows 7. There are exactly 3 programs on this machine. 1.) windows 2.) McAfee 3.) World of Warcraft.

Once a day around 1 PM McAfee mcshield.exe starts gobbling up all available RAM until it reaches ~2GB, then my PC locks up.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Whenever mcupdate kicks in to download the latest DAT file the memory usage increases dramatically. This is probably what you're seeing, and this is why I choose to download DAT files at a time that suits me rather than whenever McAfee detects that an update is available for download. Try changing the settings to disable automatic download and installation of updates and see if it makes a difference.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Is a scan happening then? Does the ram slowly increase or is it only at 2gb when scanning cab and zip files?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community