cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beatlefan
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee Updates Automatically Even With Automatic Updates Turned Off

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Firewall discussion or Security Center discussion, but since I started having issues with my firewall turning off (which I think I have solved by doing a system restore to an earlier date before the problems started) when I start up my computer, McAfee will check for and download updates even though I have automatic updating turned off.  Does anybody have any idea why that is occurring?

I prefer to control the updating myself so I have auto-updates turned off, but McAfee updates automatically anyway when I start up.  I am running Windows XP, SP3, McAfee SC 12.1, Build 12.1.353.

Any ideas would be helpful.  Thank you.

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Updates Automatically Even With Automatic Updates Turned Off

SiteAdvisor and and (I believe) the accessories Vulnerability Scanner, Quickclean etc. update independently of the rest of SecurityCenter, VirusScan etc. so that may be what is happening, also SecurityCenter will poll for updates every few hours and alert you if you are out of date, that's another thing you may be seeing.

Regarding the Firewall issue, it's complex with arounf half a dozen reasons why it happens.   Restoring to an earlier date is merely putting off the inevitable and may lead to further issues unless you update immediately afterwards.

There's an announcement about it at the top of Personal Firewall section or here is what it says:

In Windows 8 try restoring the default services in "Windows Services" a.k.a. services.msc using this Tutorial:   http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9413-services-restore-default-services-wind ows-8-a.html

Or run this new Microsoft Fixit:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519899

In other systems try this Microsoft Fixit: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic

User philosophicsity has posted a useful Tutorial also, click HERE.

If not effective, contact Technical Support - it's free by phone or online chat and available through Useful Links at the top of this page, or the McAfee Support link, or right-click your taskbar icon and select "Get Help" then select "McAfee Support Website".

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/06/13 1:17:19 EDT PM
beatlefan
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I did update right after the system restore and firewall is still OK.  Tried the fixit and other fixes shown and none of them worked.  Spent hours with tech support and they only made things worse by causing me to lose my Internet connection and then telling me to contact my ISP.  The only thing that worked was the system restore.

No, the update that McAfee does is a full update of engine version, etc. with the blue circle turning on the icon, not just Quickclean or SiteAdvisor.  It does this even with automatic updates turned off.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I believe you but it shouldn't be doing that.   I'm wondering if an uninstall, run MCPR cleanup, reboot and reinstall may help, but I'm sure you've already tried that.

Only thing to do then is to contact support again and ask for escalation maybe?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community