cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starryeyed
Former Member
Message 1 of 38

McAfee Total Protection 2011 keeps asking me to update/restart my computer several times a day.

I recently purchased McAfee Total Protection 2011 for 3 computers (one disk is used to install the same stuff on three different computers) at Walmart and installed it on two computers.

One one of my computers, every single day, McAfee says that it's downloaded the latest updates, and that I have to restart to complete the installation or update process.

I do that, and everything seems fine. Then, later on during the day, it asks me to do the same thing. And again. And again. Each and every day, several times. It's very annoying, and I'm sure that it isn't supposed to do that.

I had the SAME problem on another computer that I newly installed Total Protection 2011 on. What I did on that computer was uninstall and reinstall the software, and that took care of the problem. I haven't had to 'restart to finish updating' on this computer since then.

So it stood to reason that, if I did the same thing on the OTHER computer, that would've fixed the problem, right?

WRONG.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled TP2011 twice now on this other computer, and it STILL asks me to update/restart my computer over and over and over again.

I don't know what to do, short of uninstalling and reinstalling yet again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know a solution to it?

Both of my computers were running on Windows Vista, if that's any help.

37 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 38

Re: McAfee Total Protection 2011 keeps asking me to update/restart my computer several times a day.

Hi there,
This could happen in scenarios where during the update process, a registry key might remain after the update cycle is complete. In this situation, the update service may continue to request a system restart.

Could you please let us know how did you uninstall the McAfee products ? Did you use the removal utility ?

Please click on this link  here and follow the steps and let us know if we still face any issues

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

starryeyed
Former Member
Message 3 of 38

Re: McAfee Total Protection 2011 keeps asking me to update/restart my computer several times a day.

Thank you for answering!

I don't believe I used the actual McAfee removal utility. I'm pretty sure that I went to Programs and Features from the Control Panel and removed it from there by following the steps that it prompted me to follow.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 4 of 38

Well there are chances where McAfee was not completely removed earlier, anyhow click on Useful Links on top of this page. Run the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR) reboot the computer and reinstall the programs from your online account.

That should work…

starryeyed
Former Member
Message 5 of 38

I clicked on your link and followed the steps provided, but the problem still persisted.

I'm at my wits end with this.. nothing I do or try seems to work.

starryeyed
Former Member
Message 6 of 38

I did exactly as you said, and the problem still didn't go away.

PrakashMcAfee
Contributor III
Message 7 of 38

Hi,

I would like to know some information before we proceed further.

• Type of your Operating system with service pack details (Ex :windows Xp,Windows Vista ,Windows 7).
starryeyed
Former Member
Message 8 of 38

Operation System: Microsoft Windows Vista Business

According to my System information, I don't have ANY service pack.

newjack
Former Member
Message 9 of 38

Hey guys, Aldrin knows alot more about Mcafee then me.I had a problem once with Mcafee and this is what worked for me.Unistall Mcafee from programs 1st.The same way you normally uninstall.Turn on windows firewall reboot then run Mvt after mvt is done reboot then try to install again.If this does not work could be something else.                   good luck newjack

PrakashMcAfee
Contributor III
Message 10 of 38

Hi,

Thanks for your information,

Try this step :

Turn off your windows User Account Control (UAC) and update the McAfee.

How to Turn off windows user account control :

1.     Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.     In Control Panel, click User Accounts.

3.     In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.

4.     In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off.

03.png

Regards,

Prakash A.

Message was edited by: Aldrin on 2/12/10 6:13:42 AM IST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community