cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 31 of 73

RE: Internet security 2009 and product setup problem

My question would be, did you ask to escalate your case?
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 32 of 73

Did this computer have Norton installed on it earlier??
perhaps it was removed or uninstalled some how?:confused:
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 33 of 73

Yes Luke I did....in the same way I asked for it to be escalated in this forum also. I actually asked for the name of the customer services director for Mcafee EMEA so I could make a personal complaint, as there seems to be a lot of helpful people but no-one who can actually see the status of the mcafee servers, or advise a resolution to a problem that is not only affecting 2 of my 4 machines, but also other users.

I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Thanks for your help.
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 34 of 73

Vinod, please can you state why your comments might be relevant, and how this would help resolve the issue?

The machine did indeed have norton installed on it over 1 year ago...but it was removed by the add/remove process, and did not cause any problems with the 2008 version of mcafee internet security 2008.

If you have something by way of useful information as to how this supposed problem might fix my predicament then I would be extremely grateful for your support.
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 35 of 73

Vinod....by way of comparison, my second machine which i attempted to update this evening only ever had mcafee installed since new, and it is experiencing the same problems as my my wife's dell machine, so I doubt sincerely that this is the source of the problem.

Thanks for your comments however.

I still remain confident that mcafee can resolve this simple issue, but I must confess I'm losing patience fast, as some simple questions remain unanswered.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 36 of 73

Hmmm .. the reason why I asked you specifically about Norton is due to the fact that the Norton files and registry entries if left on the computer can cause such behaviour..... the mention of 2 computers out of 4 was the one that made me think in that line...
more over the new version has lots of other technical changes that can cause issues if there are traces of Norton found

In a similiar case...
I found some applications from Symantec on

c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\

again.....

see if running This helps.
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 37 of 73

Thanks Vinod. I did check for any rogue programs and also ran the tool you very helpfully provided, and also rebooted my machine afterwards.

Unfortunately it did not resolve the main issue of not being able to register the product using the product setup tool.

I guess however it does remove one more possibility....before final resolution.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 38 of 73

Hmmm...
could you click on start
select Run
type CMD

Then in the command prompt window type
PING download.mcafee.com and hit enter

post back the reply that you get ( just the Ip address will be enough)

Again .. if its some sort of server issues then it will be resolved by itself and you must be presented a prompt to register the software when a registration is required to get updates tikl then you must be ok and safe.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 39 of 73

Initially did you mention that your product was registered under another email address?

the order Id does mention that it was registered by a CD on the first.and it is valid for a full year.

That was the 3-User McAfee Internet Security as per the records
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 40 of 73

vinod, I have done this action many times already and every time I get a satisfactory response. The ip address I get on this ocassion is as follows:

As stated to you many time before in this forum this problem has persisted since Weds/Thursday last week and the system has prompted me many times to register in line with updates but it has never completed...so I don't share your confidence on this ocassion.

I believe I will only continue to get updates until this issue is resolved, or within 12 days after which I will no longer continue to get updates. Is this the case or not?

If so I am some 5 days into this cycle already, and fast running out of time.

Thanks however for your continued suggestions and patience. I am now off to get 8 hrs sleep before I start my normal job of work, after having spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get my basic software to work this weekend.:mad:
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community