Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 44

Re: Inoperative Customer Support Tools

I'll bring it up again at our conference call on Monday.

ajwh
Former Member
Message 22 of 44

OK!

The font is the clue. I had a PS=T1 helvetica font which came with my Zoom modem. I uninstalled this (using Bitstream Font Manager) and the text in my box came back!

FIXED!!!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 44

Good.  I had forgotten about the possibility of fonts messing things up.   I usually leave those things alone and ignore any requests to install additional fonts.

ajwh
Former Member
Message 24 of 44

BUT the point is that I had this font installed already - and Helvetica is a very popular font.

I note that wmcole appears to be using a differently-sourced Helvetica PS Type1 font, which makes me think that it isn't a fautly font, but rather a coding issue in the text box....

Andrew

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 44

The user interface is an actual Internet Explorer webpage, albeit internalized, and default fonts, at least least in all my browsers, is Times New Roman for all webpages, but I guess it varies with different languages perhaps.

Try going to the Advanced tab in Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options and doing a reset.

You'll have to re-enable your add-ons afterwards.

That said, I agree that it shouldn't matter what font you are using and will pass that on.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/08/12 9:00:45 EDT AM
ajwh
Former Member
Message 26 of 44

My IE default fonts are Times New Roman and Courier. Helvetica isn't even an option on the list....

Some more info - once I have removed Helvetica and viewed the McAfee box, the text remains visible, even if I reinstall Helvetica.

However it resets when I reboot.

The issue of the font probably explains why the "white box" problem comes and goes over a range of operating systems and of video cards - most customers won't have Helvetica, which is almost a "professional" font - MS designed Arial to mimic it without paying a royalty.

Andrew

Message was edited by: ajwh on 8/27/12 8:14:59 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 44

It would appear that Helvetica, and possibly others too, just installed if not being used, presents a challenge to the GUI.   I'll pass that on too.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/08/12 9:22:59 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 44

Yes... if a non-standard or non-Microsoft font is introduced into the system it throws IE off just enough to cause blank UI's in McAfee and possibly other software that relies on IE.  This per T3 technician.   Solution, uninstall that font.

billrodgers
Former Member
Message 29 of 44

Hi,

This baffled me for some time too...

Easy to fix though...An IE Windows update caused this for me. If the same is true for you, this could work.

You need to reinstall Helvetica TTF version.

Download it from here:

http://www.911fonts.com/font/download_HelveticaRegular_4864.htm

Downloaded file is named 4864.ttf

For Windows 7, right click and choose the little blue 'install' icon. It knows what to do with a font.

That's it...Once I did this, I opened up Macafee Security Center and all my text was back!

Also fixed some other issues I was having with my IE and Adobe software.

Hope it works for you and others.

Best regards,

Bill

dreamfalcon
Former Member
Message 30 of 44

I too have the same issue.  I reinstalled McAfee Security Plus but the user interface is blank and right clicking the McAgent in the tray does not give any options.

I have it running on Lenovo Z570 x64 win 7 Home Premium with IE8 version 8.0.7601.17514.  BTW Chrome is the default browser.

Message was edited by: dreamfalcon on 11/14/12 2:41:18 AM CST

Message was edited by: dreamfalcon on 11/14/12 2:46:56 AM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community