cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattcrowderonli
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

How do I turn off "Your computer is not protected"?

I play World of Warcraft and I turn off real time scan during the game. The last thing I want is a popup appearing during my gameplay. The latest version of Security Center wants to pop up this small reminder window periodically whenever I turn my real time scan off. I need to turn that reminder off big time. How do I do that? Please don't tell me it can't be done.
8 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

RE: How do I turn off "Your computer is not protected"?

Hi
Please clarify,

Why do you disable the McAfee real time scanning to play the game?
What is the version of McAfee installed in the system?
Do you have any other security software installed in the system?

Steps

Run the MVT and post the session ID: http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp

Open security center-click on configure in bottom right hand panel-click on advance under the Alert-click alert option-uncheck the option under show information alerts when gaming mode is detected
mattcrowderonli
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your response:

Answers:

1. Irrelevent
2. It's probably v9 but Help|about in Security Center does not give a version that I can see - I just got a version update though (XP)
3 No

This is a simple question - I do not have a tech glitch or error. Can the notice be disabled or not?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

To make the answer simple.....NO.

But, if your software is the latest, it automatically throttles back for games and other CPU-intensive activities so there should be no reason to turn off protection.

I don't know of any brand of protection software that doesn't throw up warnings when it is disabled.
mattcrowderonli
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Bless you for a straight-forward answer.

Other AV products, and prior versions of McAfee, did not have this effect. Prior versions of real time scan popped up a simple display box, one time, and then placed a "not protected" icon in the taskbar. The latest version pops up a dialog box, not a simple display window, and it pops up every few minutes. That's the critical difference here. The dialog box can cause anything from pausing display updates in the game (if you've ever played Wow, you know that's fatal), to causing the game to spontaneously minimize (even more dramatically fatal).
mattcrowderonli
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Well this is a different conversation. Throttling, I think, works better on paper than it does in real life. It can throttle, but it can't throttle itself to zero, and regardless of what the flow chart says, it makes a genuine, human-observable difference in game play, throttling or not -- particularly during the disk-insentive game functions such as transitioning from one region to another in the game world.

Also, although I'm not a militant by nature, I do believe it's my choice whether or not to disable real time scan, and I don't think RTS should contain a design element that restricts my ability to successfully do so. After all, prior versions of RTS don't cause this problem, what was wrong with the prior method?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

All I can say they changed something and obviously, in your case at least, it wasn't for the better.

If you want to speak to Technical Support Chat feel free, at least they can escalate the case and feedback your input.

Link at top left of the page.
mattcrowderonli
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Thanks Peter for your reply. In effect, I have found a workaround - I just leave the window up and drag it out of the way...
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

LOL, well I suppose that is one way of handling it... at least it wont keep popping up.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community