cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reuss
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Help - slowing internet down so much i cant use it

I recently bought a new laptop with preinstalled McAfee so went and bought the full subscription as it was recommended by the laptop maker. 

Since doing this the laptop has slowed down A LOT and internet is no better than the old dial up basically unusable and looking at task manager its using up 80% of the CPU

I need to unistal and count my losses i think i should have listened to all that warned me against this product.

Very frustrated and uphappy

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Help - slowing internet down so much i cant use it

It certainly shouldn't be doing that.  It's possible that the new version you have somehow corrupted the old one which is still lurking in the background.

Best to uninstall everything McAfee via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, (Add or Remove Programs in XP), then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot, then reinstall from your online account.

Also make sure in Windows Device Manager and/or Network Center that only one network is being used.   Some applications try to create their own networks and I have found that this confuses Windows and hence other software such as McAfee, which only reads it's connections from Windows in the first place.

reuss
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks phew I will try it when i get home internet is so slow so on friends computer at the moment

Basically its a brand new computer all i downloaded was firefox (IE still main browser) and the virus protection otherwise its unused theres no music, photos etc on it grief not even surfed the net so no tracking cookies.

Have printed out reply looking forward to trying it out thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

OK good luck.  Make sure the machine is totally up to date, especiallly browsers and their add-ons.  IE8 for XP, IE9 for Vista, IE10 for 7 and 8.  (8.1 comes with IE11).

Technical Support is always there to help you free of charge by phone or online chat.  See Useful Links at the top of this page.   If they don't at first solve the issue then ask for escalation.

reuss
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Its windows 8 lol dont start me on that one

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

OK, good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community