Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolphin203
Former Member
Message 1 of 21

Firewall Cannot be "Turned On"

Jump to solution

My AOL Edition of Security Center forced me into a "Renew" and completely deleted version 9.15 and installed new 2011 version, (Firewall 11.5.141). The new GUI window indicates everything is fine and my PC is safe. However, when I select the "Firewall->Settings" the indication there is the Firewall is "Off." When trying to "Turn On" the button flashes to on then instantly back to off. All the settings are preset and grayed out. I've been online with support several times and they advise me to download and run "MCPR2.exe" to remove the McAfee software and reinstall via "daol.aol.com/security". I have done this 4 times but the result is always the same. The Firewall is On in the Home page but Off within the Firewall window and settings cannot be changed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dolphin203
Former Member
Message 19 of 21

Re: Firewall Cannot be "Turned On"

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper, I decided to let Tech Support Remotely access my system. Level 1 support had no luck, they transfered me to level 2 tech support. After retracing everything that had been done multiple times over the last several weeks, they went into control panel and removed Ad-Aware software and Norton update and WMI software. After restarts the same problem existed. They then went into Services stopping and starting Windows Firewall and McAFee. Still no help. They then removed the software again with one of their programs. While I watched the screen the uninstall removed and stopped a lot of services connected to the McAfee software. They then had me do another complete reinstall and presto everything is now working fine. I ask them how I should close out my forum question and they replied; Started Windows Firewall Service and set it to Automatic. I replied that could not have been the problem because that in fact had been accomplished many times. They indicated the third party software Ad-Aware and Norton, (this was not Norton Virus Software), could over time cause the problem. That's about all they would pass on to me. I guess the combination off these things and the reinstall did the trick.

I'd like to thank everyone who offer their assistance on this problem. It sure had me scratching my head and I still don't know which of what tech support did that was the final answer.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Jump to solution

Could you try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links and post the session number. Would you also post some info about your computer such as browser, ram, service pack, operating system. This info will assist in the resolving of your issue. By the way do you still have the service request numbers I beleive the numbers might be 484570-xxxxxxxxx

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 21

Jump to solution

When you run MVT grab the session number it will assist the techs

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/04/11 7:30:51 PM
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 4 of 21

Jump to solution

Open RUNbox by clicking Windows button along withR button. Type “services.msc” andhit Enter button.  It will open Windows service managementconsole. Please find Windows Firewallservice right click on it and select Properties.Change the startup type to Automaticand click on Start button it is not yet started. Restart the computer and checkthe Firewall settings. If issue persists, please run MCPR tool and re-installMcAfee. Best of luck.

MCPR

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 5 of 21

Jump to solution

Sorry I took a while to get back. I've been recouping after Surgery. I'm running a Gateway 702Ge 3.86GH, 2GB Ram, 300GB HD, Nvidia GT9400 w/2GB, Samsung 22" LCD, WinXP w/SP3, AOL.

McAfee and Windows Firewall Sevices are set to "Automatic."

MVT Session# 32487868

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 6 of 21

Jump to solution

I believe I stumbled on the problem. Following Jayadeep's suggestion, I checked Services and "McAfee Personal Firewall" was set to "Automatic" but was not started. I right clicked pressed start and a window pop-up indicated the file "MPFSRV.EXE" was missing and the service could not be started. I did a search and sure enough it is nowhere on the drive. Since I have reinstalled four times already with the same problem is there a way I can get this file. Services is looking for it in; "Programs Files->McAfee->MPF" and for some reason it is gone.

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 7 of 21

Jump to solution

Sorry, I don't have the service request numbers any more. Please see my updates...I believe I found the problem but still need a fix.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 21

Jump to solution

Turn windows firewall off uninstall via removal tool MCPR and retry installing.

That file is not on my 10.5 security centre version nor the new 11.0 version so popup might be an error. Jay can enlarge on it.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 9 of 21

Jump to solution

No need to worry about McAfee Firewall Service and error message about file missing. Please check “ Windows Firewall/InternetConnection Sharing (ICS) “ service, change the startup type to “Automatic” and start the service. Restart the computer and open McAfee and let me know ifMcAfee Firewall is ON or OFF after restarting the computer.

Firewall - XP.JPG

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 10 of 21

Jump to solution

The Windows Firewall and Internet Connection Service has been started and automatic. I never had to change it. I'm going to try Peacekeepers suggestion to turn off Windows Firewall and do a complete new uninstall and install. Will update after completion.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community