cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcafee_xp_user
Contributor
Message 241 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Sorry  - details for last post - the summary at top is not right.  The details for the systems are correct

The Desktop XP Media Center was the one with WFP dialogs

The Laptop XP Home never had WFP dialogs, only 64008 shutdown

The Desktop XP Pro never had WFP dialogs, only 64008 shutdown

ScottA
Contributor
Message 242 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Came down to my computer yesterday morning and saw McAfee had an update available so clicked on the blue"Update now" button.  After the update I found I could no longer type anything into any field or text box on a webpage in IE 8 . Also found I could not run a web based program because I would get the following error  "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed".  After some Googling on the subject I ended up reinstalling IE 8 and uninstalled Windows Installer 3.1 and installed Windows Installer 4.5.  Both problems now fixed.

Perhaps McAfee update had nothing to do with it, but what a coincidence.  Unfortunately I had not used computer that morning prior to clicking on the update so I don't know if the problem existed prior to the update.  I do know that when I went to bed the night before I did not have those problems.

Luckily this happened on my auxillary computer that I use to run just a few programs on, but nonetheless it took  2 hrs of my time to fix.   It is a dual Athlon computer with XP sp3.   After the upgrade of McAfee Antivirus Plus it reports VirusScan Ver 15. Build 15.0.291 Last update 9/29/2011  Dat Ver 6483.  DAT Creation date 9/28/2011.

Windows Installer error message link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346   I used Method 2

Windows Installer 4.5 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483

IE 8 download http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

Message was edited by: ScottA on 9/29/11 11:27:47 PM CDT

Message was edited by: ScottA on 9/29/11 11:30:00 PM CDT
yippeekaiyay
Former Member
Message 243 of 263

Jump to solution

My McAfee software has now updated to the same version of yours... SecurityCenter build 11.0.608. No WFP warnings. Winlogon.exe seems to be acting normal like before this fiasco started. Going to run MBAM and see if winlogon.exe responds to it at all like it did before. I'm pretty sure this is clear evidence something with McAfee's file property problem was triggering the whole WFP/winlogon.exe issue. Too bad this was accidental. I hope someone continues to investigate to find the real cause so it does not happen again.

Updated: MBAM didn't trigger winlogon.exe activity. However, that still doesn't answer the question of why 19 GB of disk space disappeared during all of the WFP activity that McAfee triggered. I can only assume it was backing up all of those dllcache files to the System Restore archive on the disk. Would be nice if someone from McAfee explained the full cause and effect of this software issue that led to many customers leaving the product and frustrating a number of others for months.

Message was edited by: yippeekaiyay on 9/30/11 11:05:31 PM CDT

Update 2: I will continue to monitor to see if any of the svchost warnings appear that other people have reported since the 64008s disappeared. So far, none.

Message was edited by: yippeekaiyay on 9/30/11 11:06:35 PM CDT
rabbit2
Contributor
Message 244 of 263

Jump to solution

With some users reporting updates apparently without problems I decided to see if I would be similarly lucky. On previous occasions I had suffered the 4 bit resolution problem (nVidia) from which I had recovered with System Restore. So today I allowed updates to go ahead and surprisingly I did not receive SC version 11 but was allowed to stay on version 10. I now have SC 10.5.247 with VS 14.5.130 (dat 6491) and the machine is working fine. I wonder why I wasn't pushed up to version 11? Is McAfee detecting potential problem machines and not downloading 11? I would have thought that this far into a new build rollout all servers would by now be delivering the latest build. Anyone any thoughts?

Peacekeeper
Message 245 of 263

Jump to solution

Who do you get your Mcafee from If subscription I would have expected it to update if a partner they might be throttling the install. I still have not been told anything re a fix being released only 1 was for the file property issue.

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 246 of 263

Jump to solution

I'm 10 months into a retail version - not a partner / pre-installed. I've allowed 3 previous upgrades (10 Jun, 17 Jul and 19 Jul) all of which resulted in SC 11, giving me a 4- bit screen and some 64001s and 64008s. As I said, today's update has left me at SC 10 which is fine by me as I am no longer running with a red-bannered McAfee. I'm in the UK. It's a pity it's not possible to detect which version is about to be installed so that dodgy ones could be rejected. Or is it possible to detect?

Peacekeeper
Message 247 of 263

Jump to solution

No it does not I thinks warn you re version.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 248 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

There is no much activity seen on this thread , with the recent report its indicated that those whoeused to get this error message a pop up by now don’t get it anymore. Could you confirm if you still receive the pop ups regarding the windows file protection error.

rabbit2 wrote:

I'm 10 months into a retail version - not a partner / pre-installed. I've allowed 3 previous upgrades (10 Jun, 17 Jul and 19 Jul) all of which resulted in SC 11, giving me a 4- bit screen and some 64001s and 64008s. As I said, today's update has left me at SC 10 which is fine by me as I am no longer running with a red-bannered McAfee. I'm in the UK. It's a pity it's not possible to detect which version is about to be installed so that dodgy ones could be rejected. Or is it possible to detect?

Could you please let us know if you get your McAfee programs through ISP ??? Else let us know the following details , those should tell us more info,

McAfee Security center version:

Aff id :

Regards,

Greens
Former Member
Message 249 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi Dinz

I'm no longer getting the WFP errors in the event viewer and am able to run SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes scans without the WFP errors as well.  Great!  But when those problems stopped, another problem developed at the same time.  I referenced this in a earlier post.  It happens on start up, every time.

Event 514  mfehidk

"Process **\SVCHOST.exe pid (3424) contained unsigned or corrupted code and was blocked from performing a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.".  The pid number changes but the rest of the message is the same.  So far, everything seems to be working ok but what's going on?

I'm running Windows XP MCE 2002 SP 3 on a Dell XPS 400 computer.  McAfee came preinstalled on my computer several years ago and I've kept it updated. I've kept it updated through automatic renewal and according to my account info on your website it's still via Dell.

Message was edited by: Greens on 10/11/11 1:33:37 PM GMT-05:00
holmesat8
Former Member
Message 250 of 263

Jump to solution

I have taken a break from using McAfee on my laptop other users in the house are either on Windows 8 or XP (and afraid to update incase it all goes pear shaped again).  I realise that it doesn't help you (McAfee) sort the problem out but losing the use of your computer or taking days to sort it out isn't really an option for me.  My plan was to see if the problem was well and truly solved and ride out the rest of my subscription with McAfee then possibly take my "household" elsewhere.

Regards

Holmesat8

(4 licence holder - McAfee anti virus plus 2x XP SP3, 2x Window8)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community