cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 161 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Wasn't helpful?

Posting instructions to folks to run a low level operating system instruction when the poster admits they have no idea what it does?

If a "normal" forum poster dropped that instruction in you would warn users against it - I was just doing your job for you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 162 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Then you could have diplomatically said as much rather than go off the deep end.

boomboomer
Former Member
Message 163 of 263

Jump to solution

I too am getting the error message "Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions".

Without reading through 30 pages of complaints, conflicts between mods and posters and failed fixes, is there or is there not a known fix for me?

Message was edited by: boomboomer on 9/10/11 6:30:53 PM CDT
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 164 of 263

Jump to solution

boomboomer - There is no fix, but a bug is filed and engineering is working on it.

blarty-fargo - As far as regsvr32 goes it is not really a low level tool. All it does is write the registry entries which point to the dll. If you run regsvr32 and the registry entries are already there, nothing happens. If the registry entries are incorrect it repairs them.

Now if you run the command with the /u switch, you can get yourself in trouble. But that is not what was suggested. We use the regsvr32 command in a lot of tools and it is a savior. You will see Microsoft reference it in many of their KB articles.

Regards,

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 165 of 263

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

It was removed by me as it wasn't helpful.

Talking of not being helpful; how helpful have McAfee been over the last 3 months for its customers who've not only lost functionality of the software - but also had damage caused to their operating systems? Have we had a resolution? No. Has a proper apology been issued? No. Have we been given an estimated time for a resolution? No. Have we been offered any complimentary software in the interim? No. Have we been offered any advice on how to repair our operating systems or contain the damage? No. Have we been given credible assurances that this issue is being dealt with? No. Has a press release been issued relating to this matter? Not to my knowledge.

Ex_Brit wrote:

I thought you said earlier on that you no longer used McAfee products?  So why don't you leave the thread to those who do?

I think this is absolutely rude.

Peacekeeper
Message 166 of 263

Jump to solution

We mods have pushed hard and now you see we now have a tech as high as they come involved that is why we do not need any stirring and complaints we need to focus now on getting this issue off all our PCs.

I think this is absolutely rude.

I do not see that if you pulled out and use another product Ok but no need to stir and complain.You and those who have left can and are welcome to read the thread and post sensible posts not all this every1 leave as mcafee sucks use norton etc posts are not constructive. This applies to all now not using mcafee.

I really went the 90yards and stirred as high as 1 can. My pink slip not in the mail yet so they appear to be supporting my complaints.  We will now I hope get movement on many of the threads.

astor
Contributor II
Message 167 of 263

Jump to solution

Although I haven't had this problem I did have another problem happen to me not long ago when the AV software updated itself.  Certain applications would slow down and events like these appeared in the event log:

A thread in process C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.

Also, I still get "Process **\SVCHOST.EXE pid (1764) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver." but that has been happening for a long time.  Everything appears to be working fine, including the detection fo test viruses from a number of sites I use on a regular basis.  I do use SpyBot Search & Destroy but not in real-time.  I deactivated all the real-time features and I only ever use it manually to scan for malware so I don't think it interferes with McaFee. I reboot after a scan just in case.

So, i did a clean uninstall and re-installed McAfee, and now I don't get the first pblem above anymore.  I presume some here have tried this solution but not sure.  At this stage I won't complain about the other problem above since I'm still on XP SP2.  I tried to upgrade to SP3 a number of times but failed.  I tried all the various fixes, and each time I get closer to a successful upgrade of Windows but never a complete success.   I suspect my system is corrupted.  I'm not so concerned as I'm replacing the PC with a new one.  This brings me to another point.  I wonder if the people who are having various problems with McAfee is due to a corrupted Windows system.  I'd be surprised if it's anything else since I presume the vast majority of McAfee users are not experiencing any problems at all.  My assumption might be wrong but I haven't seen any statistics to show if it is or not.  If it's a conflict issue with something else installed on the system, such as a video card driver, I would have expected a lot more users reporting problems.  Again, I don't really know since I haven't seen any statistics of how many McAfee users are reporting problems compared to how many who are reporting no problems at all.  It would be interesting to know.

If my suspicions are correct, it would be worth McAfee to invest in and build into their products more extensive debugging approaches so that users can turn it on to gather detailed information to assist support in their endeavours to track down and fix any problem.  I use a product (not AV) that has this feature and it has helped them resolve a number of issues over the past couple of years.  Some of the causes in fact were Windows related and had nothing to do with the application.

Message was edited by: astor on 11/09/11 5:43:23 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 168 of 263

Jump to solution

My xp test box gets the errors in the event viewer but they do not affect the PC in any way that I see. The OS is new XP home sp3 really has only minimal stuff on it other than norton goback and ghost.

supergeek
Former Member
Message 169 of 263

Jump to solution

No, it's extremely unlikely that this is a problem with faulty or corrupted Windows systems.  Check out how many views this thread has, my friend! It's over 22,000 views!  And most people who have problems with their computer will do a google search, read a link they find, try the suggestions, and never post anything in the forums they find.  So don't think that not many people are having this issue merely based on the number of people posting here.  You have to count the views of the thread, as well as factor in many other things, for instance the simple fact that many people don't have time to fiddle around with fixing their own machines. Others don't even know how to use google to try and fix their machines!  Anyway, I'm rambling. The point is, needless to say, this is a serious problem, and it's on McAfee's end.  I'd bet my subscription on it. lol

Message was edited by: supergeek on 9/11/11 9:48:58 PM CDT
astor
Contributor II
Message 170 of 263

Jump to solution

If you are right, and I am not suggestion you can't be, then yes McAfee has a very serious problem on their hands.  They have to resolve it ASAP or surely they will lose a lot of customers.  How can anyone rely on such an important and critical piece of software if it is so faulty?  Of course n oone shouldn't, especially those who are most vulnerable because they are computer illiterate, which happens to be most of the PC users of the world.  I also agree McAfee AV has been problematic.  I’ve had lots of problems myself over the past but because I’m computer savvy I’ve spotted them and in most situations found fixes for them.  Some required registry cleanups and manual permission changes to registry entries.  This is something a normal user wouldn’t dare do.  However, I’m getting tired of all this.  I’ve been in the computer industry for over 35 years and I’m now so annoyed with various aspects of Windows.  I’ve must have spent literally months of my life ever since Win95 came out troubleshooting various Windows related issues.  I have used a Mac and I have to say I wish I could use one all the time but I can’t due to certain applications I need to use that only run on Windows. Using a Mac is such a blessing.  One focuses 99% of the time on real work, not spending inordinate amounts of time tracking down and fixing operating system and application related issues.  I’ve been a HP-Unix, Ultrix, SGI, Windows,Mac, OpenVMS and NonStop administrator at various stages in my life and I have to say Window is effectively a virus in its own right, while all the other operating systems I've used are a blessing to administer.  Enough rambling though.

I just bought a new PC with McAfee pre-installed.  I hope I don’tsuffer too many hassles

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community