cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
syndeis
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Expired Subscription

Last year I purchased my annual Internet Security Suite subscription 3 User. The last week or so I started receiving expiration notices from McAfee. I checked my account online but it clearly shows I am good until June. Well low and behold I am out of service today. Customer Service Solution is for me to remove my program, download and reinstall it. I have 2 computers, live in rural america, and only have dial-up. This isn't a good option for me.

How is it my subscription good to 6/23/09 expired on Jan14th? I cant believe it is up to me to reinstall this service. Somewhere McAfee must be able to update my account so that I won't have to switch providers. I hate losing 6 months of service, but I dont know what else to do. I basically had a chat with myself online today.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
4 Replies
syndeis
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

RE: Expired Subscription

received an email from McAfee today and I can see what has happened.

"This message is brought to you as a McAfee trial user." McAfee placed me in a trial and put an expire date on the trial 6 months sooner than my purchased service. Instead of resuming my purchased service I am now out of service.

This isn't the first time McAfee has tried to an unethical business practice to try and generate additional subscription fees from me.

Time to move on to a provider that values their customers.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

We only deal with technical issues here. A simple phone call (free) to Customer Service will sort it out.

1-866-897-9325 press 4 then 0 between 8am - 8pm Central Time.
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

received an email from McAfee today and I can see what has happened.

"This message is brought to you as a McAfee trial user." McAfee placed me in a trial and put an expire date on the trial 6 months sooner than my purchased service. Instead of resuming my purchased service I am now out of service.

In situations like this, there are usually multiple accounts involved. While working for McAfee quite a number of customers contacted us daily with similar situations as which you describe and it nearly always turns out that the customer used multiple e-mail addresses to register different versions over the years.

Have a look at the reminder e-mails - to which e-mail address(es) have they been sent (in the past)? Contact McAfee CS, and ask them to search for your name and see if they can find multiple accounts.

If there are multiple accounts then the one you're using (i.e. the one belonging to the software you've still installed) could be extended by the appropriate amount. This means that you will not have to re-install, in all likelyhood.

This isn't the first time McAfee has tried to an unethical business practice to try and generate additional subscription fees from me.

Time to move on to a provider that values their customers.

The only thing that one *perhaps* could describe as "dodgy" concerning the subscription is the automatic renewal. The T&C shown to you before you make a purchase clearly state that the subscription will be automatically renewed. But people do not read, and end up being angry and surprised when they see McAfee took money from their bank account, supposedly without their permission.

While no organisation is perfect, and mistakes are made sometimes in the subscription system, it's a 1000x more likely it's actually the customer not keeping his administration in order (keeping track of which e-mail(s) he used to register, which accounts he has, etc).
syndeis
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Ex Brit,

I had already been to customer service. I must remove the existing program and reinstall it according to them. Being out of service is kind of technical from my desk.

Bastiaan,

I have only had one email address with McAfee since I became a customer. I was a recipient of the auto renewal and not only did I have to get it removed, tghe thing that irritated me the most about it is McAfee charges their retail price even if they are offering customers who renew on their own a rebate during the same window. In my case it was the auto renew was $20 higher than had I renewed myself. The other circumstance that left me with bad feelings is when I only had one computer. Again my service was going to expire in June, but I started receiving renewal notices in January. Customer service assumed that since I downloaded the program to a new computer that I had two computers now and my subscription date was reduced to 6 months. They did fix it after I explained the other PC was no longer in service.

The bottom line is I was stuck in a trial that I didnt request, that expired on the 14th of January, and now I have no service.

I appreciate the responses, but as soon as I can make the time to download Norton 360 on two dial up computers that is my only option left.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community