cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theshorthalf
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Connected through a proxy server, McAfee unable to update itself

I have recently switched to a new internet service provider through my university which requires me to connect thru a proxy server. Ever since then, McAfee has been unable to update itself.

I've been seeing the "protection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old" message all the time, with the scary little yellow ! mark in my tray, etc. Have tried clicking "fix" many a time, it always says that it is now up to date but the alert messages stay there.

I've tried Virtual technician, this hasn't worked either.

I've also emailed support several times - the first time I was given a long list of instructions that involved deleting temporary files, resetting internet settings etc (couldn't reset the internet settings because then I wouldn't have been able to connect... I've had to modify a LOT of settings in order to be able to use my internet and various other programs). Eventually I re-installed McAfee and everything seemed to be going fine.

8 days later... I get the message again. So clearly McAfee is STILL unable to update itself. Again, I email support telling them that the steps I've taken haven't worked... And receive a reply telling me the exact same steps. I did attach all previous correspondence as I was told to do; clearly they didn't bother reading it.

So here I am, back at square one. So how can I get McAfee to connect through the proxy server??

I'm using the latest version of security center as I only just reinstalled it last week. I'm running windows vista on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Core2Duo etc. Let me know if there's any extra info you need. I really just want to get my virus protection back up and running...
2 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

RE: Connected through a proxy server, McAfee unable to update itself

theshorthalf
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

RE: Connected through a proxy server, McAfee unable to update itself

My proxy server does require a username and password, so according the instructions I should reinstall McAfee and it will fix it, but I have already reinstalled it just last week and it isn't working. I've tried downloading and installing the MSCPRXFIX.exe tool as well, still no luck at all.

So what next? Come on guys, I've paid you a lot of money, and I've still got 2 years left on my subscription so I'd rather not have to switch to Norton just yet...
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community