cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caedis
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Cannot disable alert messages

I intentionally did not install the Site checker and Virus Scanner products in Mcafee Security Center 2009. I only want the firewall.

I constantly get alert messages stating that I'm not protected. :mad:

These are my settings.
http://caedis.net/files/2009/07/annoyingmcafee.jpg
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Cannot disable alert messages

By Site Checker I assume you mean SiteAdvisor. That's optional so wont effect Security Center's behaviour.

VirusScan, however, is regarded as an essential component of any of the retail packages & has to be installed to avoid those alerts. Which means you would have to uninstall any other anti-virus that you may be using.
Only certain applications are available as separate packages and VirusScan or Firewall Plus are not.

Out of interest what other anti-virus are you using instead of VirusScan?

It is fine to use extra anti-spyware however. There are a few free ones we recommend listed here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913
Caedis
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I don't use virus scanners, rather I sandbox all applications that are potential virus vectors using a program called "Sandboxie".

Once malware infects your system you cannot trust anything your doing. If you delete the virus using a virus scanner your only putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It's only delaying the inevitable. A compromised system can't be trusted. The only permanent fix is a full drive formatting.

I am a IT Security Analyst so I understand this is not for everyone. Average users should have a virus scanner and firewall. But for me, running anti-virus processes 24/7 is a waste of processors cycles and battery life. Behavior is 99% of your security.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Then the best solution for you is not to choose anything that is part of a suite. All McAfee home products are part of a suite with at least VirusScan being a compulsory installation.
Caedis
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Yeah, I'm evaluating some different options. I heard good things about Mcafee's firewall solution but it doesn't appear to be granular enough to support stand alone operation.

Oh well, thanks anyway.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

You're welcome.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community