Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ced2
Former Member
Message 1 of 41

Blue Wheel shows on shield indefinitely - supposedly checking for updates

Jump to solution

I am running McAfee Personal Firewall Plus, subscription via MSN and Windows 7.

I have "automatic updates" set to NOTIFY  when updates are available - whenever the notification comes, we do install them, so we are up-to-date.

For the last few weeks, the "blue wheel" will appear on the McAfee shield in the system tray and shows for over a half hour.  It does not go away until we intercede by opening Security Center.  We then click the update window and the screen shows progress, and "checking for updates" and goes through progress % very quickly.  It usually does not find any updates.

I thought McAfee was is checking for updates when the blue wheel appears, but am no longer sure because there is no message when hovering over the shield . 

When we do get the "Notification" of updates, the message comes without first seeing the blue wheel.  Then when we say OK to install updates ,the blue wheel does appear and hovering correctly shows % download and installing. 

This has become very frustrating, because when the blue wheel appears, we are expecting McAfee to do something, but it just sits there.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 41

Re: Blue Wheel shows on shield indefinitely - supposedly checking for updates

Jump to solution

There is a fix due out in the coming weeks, now being tested in the beta products.

Meanwhile just ignore the false alarm that blue circle causes.

View solution in original post

40 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 41

Jump to solution

There is a fix due out in the coming weeks, now being tested in the beta products.

Meanwhile just ignore the false alarm that blue circle causes.

ced2
Former Member
Message 3 of 41

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick response.  We will sit tight for a few weeks hoping this will be resolved.

I did not think community should show NAMES - just user ids.  If this is really showing my name to the Community I am very disappointed in McAfee.  - after reading this, please delete all references to my name.

Thank you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 41

Jump to solution

I hope so as I'm a "victim" too....!

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 41

Jump to solution

Re showing name it does not it only shows names to you try logging out and see what the user name now shows.

Mine did that was 1st issue we complained about when forum software changed so I changed my name to Peace keeper as two names as i was sick of seening my name there.

ced2
Former Member
Message 6 of 41

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip.  I changed my "name" and the entries reflect the change. 

kentuckygin
Contributor
Message 7 of 41

Jump to solution

Anything further on this?  I'm still seeing the gray wheel (I'm on a diet, so I'm inclined to think of it as a donut.)

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 41

Jump to solution

You certainly have a 'Sense of Humor'... Your last comment made me chuckle. The fix for the Spinning Arrow/Checking for updates should be fixed in MSC v14.0.5084/5120

I say this because it resolved it for me after being updated to the Versions/Builds mentioned above.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 41

Jump to solution

What affid number are you affid 0 has been rolled out mostly now they are working through the partners such as acer/Dell/ isps etc.

kentuckygin
Contributor
Message 10 of 41

Jump to solution

14.0.4121     affid 105

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community