The solution of erase the DAT three
files works for me and now is updating correctly, thanks for find
the clue.

Yours.

Mabente
Hence
Former Member
Message 12 of 39

Problem Fixed (with out clicking the FIX button)

It was the DAT files that had to be deleted. After I did that all was well.
Thank you Teamcraig!

Peaacekeeper I'm not entirly sure its vers 8... (or where I would look that up to make sure).

As for the rest of you that have posted... thanks for your help to.
yhjeh
Former Member
Message 13 of 39

No updates

I tried to update my McAfee DAT-files (Security Center 9.0, Virusscan 13.0) but after searching for an update for a long time, the software told me there were no updates available, although I knew there actually were, because my other computer did have a newer DAT-file. I tried lots of times, but always got the same result. No updates.

Then I tried to ask the McAfee Virtual Technician. It identified the problem and told me he could fix it for me. I let him, and it started the same update process as I had done lots of times before without any succes. But to my surprise, it worked. McAfee downloaded the new DAT-file and installed it.

Then after a few days, and one succesfull normal update, I had the same problem again! And again I asked McAfee Virtual Technician to fix it for me, and again it worked.

I don't know why it works, because the Virtual Technician does excactly the same thing as I do when I click on "Updates" in my McAfee software. And it's not a very easy solution when I have to do this every time, but it works.

I thought I should post the solution here. Perhaps it will help solve the problem for a while on your computers too...?
daviat
Former Member
Message 14 of 39

RE: No updates

I tried to delete the DAT files and update but not updating at all and the yellow exclamation make turned to a big RED "X". It's just not working for me. I am not updating when I try to. I followed the instructions but I can't pull anything in.

Daniel
Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 39

Use the fix button. They did something to it 3 hrs ago.

Also this faq has been updated recently.Try it if above fails, If still an issue scream andmcafee techs will chase it for you because as far as they know the issue is fixed now.
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100615&lc=1033
Hence
Former Member
Message 16 of 39

The fix of deleting the DAT files back fired... !

So like I was saying it restored everything thing okay. So I decided to restart the PC. When I did that the control center cam back up as say "You are not protected" with the red "X" Icon. And said you need to up date the DAT files so I searched for those. I found 5534.0 and installed with an error message saying something did not install correctly. So I thought if I restored the DAT files. They were the same ones I deleted earlier and where in the recycle bin. I reset, everything was fine and stable for 4hours now and counting. I have no problems so far. But I can help to have the feeling in the back of my head that this may not be a permanent solution to the problem.

Let me know if you find another way to restore the DAT files and are stable.
Thank you.
daviat
Former Member
Message 17 of 39

RE: The fix of deleting the DAT files back fired... !

Hi Peace keeper,

I did try the fix and nothing seems to be happening. I clicked the FIX and it's been saying "Fixing your protection items" for over an hour. Nothing is downloading either since I am not getting the revolving arrow when I try to update.

Deleting the DAT files didn't work since nothing downloads when I update.:confused:

Any other things you can think of. It's scarry being unprotected with no virus program. 🙂

Daniel
Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 39

RE: The fix of deleting the DAT files back fired... !

I have another two thoughts . Ok there could be something conflicting with mcafee so have you any other security software installed such as Windows Defender?

That not withstanding try
1 Running Mcafee virtual Technician linked to in my sig. ok might not be recognised as maybe your version is a gateway gender but worth a go.

1a Try the renaming of dat folder as mentioned in the link I gave you.

2. Last resort uninstall programs as via add remove and then run the mpcr.exe program (removal toll link in my sig) Reboot and reinstall the program from your account or where you got it from.

If still an issue I will point the techs to this thread.
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 19 of 39

Just a suggestion: remove the entire DAT file folder (it's a bit different from what is described in the FAQ), remove all temporary files, recycle bin etc., (perhaps even your entire browser history- just keep in mind that in that case you'll lose passwords, so you need to have the password to login to your McAfee account and it's probably best to login before continuing), reboot, and let McAfee update itself - no manual update.

Generally, if you know what you are doing, it's better not to click on 'FIX', but correct the underlying problem yourself. That may sometimes be as simple as letting McAfee updating on its own.
joeyc
Former Member
Message 20 of 39

Fixes not working

I have tried all the reported fixes I could find. The problem is the DAT download never initiates (no spinning icon). I unstalled and reinstalled and it work fine for 8 days and then same. Also tried to update DAT from McAfee website and it does not recognize that I have the product. Subscription verifies however.

I downloaded McAfee through ATT and this was a change from Norton which was removed.

Anyone have any other ideas.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community