cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hence
Former Member
Message 1 of 39

Action Required-Not Protected (fix botton dose nothing)

The pc is a Dell, os is XP service pack 3.
I have McAFee Security Center open. It has a yellow icon with "!" and says "Am I Protected? No Part of your protection must be fixed. Click FIX now.
When I do that gives me the fixing then restors the box and give me a icon with a red "X" then I go a click fix agin and it gose back to the yellow icon.

The message for Attention is only on "Computer & Files" and "E-Mail & IM".
There is no other McAFee vers, software or other 3ed party antivires on this pc. I have also checked all the programs files to see if there are any other remaining files there.

I have found other articles in fourms such as:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=206849
but is over a year old. So I don't know if the solution would work.

From what I thought it might be is an up-date problem with in McAFee. But there is always I could uninstall and reinstall McAFee but other then that I don't know how to fix this issue.

Thank you for your "Attention" on this topic.
38 Replies
tmongiello
Former Member
Message 2 of 39

RE: Action Required-Not Protected (fix botton dose nothing)

Had the same issue. I got mine fixed. See my post in the thread next to this one:

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?p=550906#post550906

T
teamcraig
Former Member
Message 3 of 39

Unprotected "Fix" Not Working - Problem Solved

I also was successful by moving the DAT files out of their folder and trying "Fix" again. I spent the entire day trouble shooting, online chatting and nothing else worked. Removed the DAT files located in the folder labeled McAfee/VirusScan/DAT/5524.0/ Ran the "Fix" button again and it create a new folder 5533.0 complete with updated DAT files.
daviat
Former Member
Message 4 of 39

Unsuccessful in this fix

Hi all . . .

I too have the problem that has been going on with Mcafee lately. I went in and deleted the DAT folder and tried to update but it caused Macaffe to pop in a red "X" instead of the yellow exclamation mark as I seem to have. I could not update it. So I brought the folder back and deleted just the contents but that was no go too, no updates and the big red "X". This error occured a few days ago and from what I am reading around the internet it is being suffered by many people. Any other ideas or fixes out there?

The message for Attention is only on "Computer & Files", "Parental Controls", and "E-Mail & IM".

I have verified my subscription. Using Mcafee only because it came with my Gateway computer. Never had these problems with other AV programs. Could this be a bug in an update at Mcafee?

thanks,
Daniel
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 39

RE: Unsuccessful in this fix

Hence and daviat what version where you at 8 or 9. dell is rolling out 9 to selected users and your dat erasure might have got you the new version. The issue is supposed to be finally fixed soon.
daviat
Former Member
Message 6 of 39

I have version 9 on a gateway. Does Mcafee know about this problem and will the programs fix themselves? I cannot update for the fix.

thanks,
Daniel
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 39

Believe me mcafee knows we and the posters here have been chasing for a fix for ages . Sigh must be hard to fix . Anyway I have been told a fix will be put to the beta testing sometime soon. Also the next version will not have the issue due to it, that is Security centre being a completely different program from today's version.

In 9 the issue is an annoyance not a big issue as far as I see. I have update warn me before updating so I can choose when to update and fix the issue.
daviat
Former Member
Message 8 of 39

Thanks Peacekeeper,

Problem is that my computer is now open for virus attack and I will need to drop McAfee for another program asap. I was hoping for a fix soon but it looks like I can't wait.

Daniel
Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 39

Er why is it open for attack set the update to download and warn me and then when the not protected happens click fix and 5 secs later it is. Or are you saying it is occurring at random withpot a download ?

I havn't been compromised with this version or previous and been using mcafee since version 4.

Will reask the beta team for an update.
daviat
Former Member
Message 10 of 39

Because Mcafee is telling me the my is protection is compromised and I am not fully protected. I cannot update anything at the moment. Are you saying that the program still works for me even though I am getting the error and exclamation point icon? Let me know.

thanks,
Daniel
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community