cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miko1
Contributor II
Message 1 of 42

Live Safe is stopping Excel opening files with error message OLE

If Real-time scan is turned on I can't open many Excel files. Excel freezes and eventually comes back with an error of "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action." This is happening on a number of different PCs with Windows 10 and a number of versions of Excel i.e Excel 2003, 2010, 2013. This just started happing the last couple of days. If I turn real time scanning off, Excel works fine. I tried to add Excel and Word to the Excluded files without success. Anyone have solutions?

41 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 42

Re: Live Safe is stopping Excel opening files with error message OLE

@Miko1 

Sorry for inconvenience caused. We request you to share the McAfee version that is installed on your device. If it is 16.0.35, kindly update the McAfee software and check the status

Right click the M icon on the system tray and select check for updates
Reboot the computer
Open Word, excel and check the status

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
Miko1
Contributor II
Message 3 of 42

Hi,

The version is 16.0 R36

It says "You currently have the latest update available"

And still an issue

sivasubramanian
Message 4 of 42

@Miko1 

We have reported this issue and McAfee is aware of this. Our engineering team is working on this. We will update the status once we get any info from our engineering team. We request you to try the below workaround for the excel OLE issue and update the status.

Workaround for Excel OLE issue

1. Open the Excel sheet and go the File menu. In the File menu, click on Options.

2. An Excel Options dialog box will appear. Go to the Advanced tab and scroll down to the General area. Over there check Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE).

3. Restart Excel.

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
Miko1
Contributor II
Message 5 of 42

Hi Tried this on several PCs. It doesn't work for me.

aklryan
Contributor
Message 6 of 42

same problem i am facing now

Freemc
Contributor
Message 7 of 42

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issue on 16.0 R36 with Excel 2010 files (not giving up free Excel til I have to get a new PC). Tried the "Ignore DDE" fix, and that did not help. If the Exclude Files function under Real-time Scan allowed me to select these Excel 2010 files, that would have been helpful, but it does not. 

ElderGuerreiro
Contributor II
Message 8 of 42

Hello

I'm experiencing the same issue on 16.0 R36 with Excel 2016 and also Word Files. Several computers, more keep appearing every day.

Disabling Mcafee real-time scanning, or removing McAfee solve the issue.

Please, give us an estimated time for fixing this issue or how to go back to an older version of McAfee that does not have this problem.

DavidN
Contributor
Message 9 of 42

I have tried all the fixes offered to this OLE problem. The only solution I have found the sort of works is turning live scanning off. I even added the file to McAfee not to scan the file. Both methods allowed the file to load, however, excel is now reporting the last time this file was opened caused a critical error and asked me do I wish to continue, then it freezes. I can't be without my excel files. I use a number of them on a daily bases, until now that is. My McAffee version is 16.0.36. My excel version is 2007. They better fix this problem quick.

TArnold1
Contributor
Message 10 of 42

Echoing the same experience as all others - Total Protection 16.0 R36.  Launch Excel 2013, and open a file, or double-click on an Excel file in File Explorer to launch Excel, and virus-scan kicks in and eventually I get the "Microsoft is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action."

As noted, suspending virus-scan alleviates the problem, but that is a temporary work-around to permit access to specific files.  What is needed is a correction to Total Protection.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community