Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BruceUK
Contributor II
Message 1 of 8

Still getting a pop-up message 'Firewall is off' when launching Google Chrome

Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry to raise this again.  I thought this problem had gone away but the message has appeared again when I launched Google Chrome this morning.

I've attached a screenshot showing the message in the top right-hand corner.  It looks like a browser pop-up to me.

I didn't click on the 'Fix Now' option, but I displayed the Services window and all the McAfee services were running.  As before, the Startup Type for the Firewall Core Service was shown as 'Manual', but this can't be changed in the Properties window as it's greyed out.

So is this the cause of the problem?  If so, is there any other way, the Startup Type can be set to Automatic?  Or are there any other suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceUK
Contributor II
Message 8 of 8

Re: Still getting a pop-up message 'Firewall is off' when launching Google Chrome

Jump to solution

OK, I think the problem has been solved.  No pop-up messages have appeared in the past two days since I reinstalled WebAdvisor.

Thanks very much for your help!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Dustin_techie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Still getting a pop-up message 'Firewall is off' when launching Google Chrome

Jump to solution

Try clearing cache and cookies or even resetting the browser

BruceUK
Contributor II
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for replying.  OK, I've cleared the cache and cookies and then restarted the computer.  The pop-up message hasn't appeared this time, but I'd like to wait and see what happens when I use the computer tomorrow before being sure that the problem has been solved.

In case it comes back, you also suggested 'resetting' the browser.  I'm not sure what you mean by this - can you clarify please?     

Bharani_BD
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @BruceUK 

Based on the screen shot the pop up that you are receiving is from the McAfee Web Advisor. Kindly uninstall and reinstall the McAfee Web Advisor extension from the chrome browser and let us know the outcome.

Thanks & Regards
Bharanidharan S

BruceUK
Contributor II
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi,

I removed WebAdvisor but can you please explain how to reinstall it?  I've opened McAfee from the Start menu but I can't find any reinstall option.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not well-versed in McAfee - I've never had to worry about it until now! 

Bharani_BD
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @BruceUK 

To re-install McAfee web advisor please click settings>>McAfee WebAdvisor and you will be asked to select the browser where you have to re-install. Select the browser and enable the extension. Kindly let us know if you have find any issues on this.

Thanks & Regards
Bharanidharan S

BruceUK
Contributor II
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for this.  I've reinstalled WebAdvisor and enabled it in Chrome.  No immediate problems, but I'd like to wait and see what happens when I launch Chrome tomorrow to be absolutely sure that it's OK now.  I'll keep you posted.

BruceUK
Contributor II
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

OK, I think the problem has been solved.  No pop-up messages have appeared in the past two days since I reinstalled WebAdvisor.

Thanks very much for your help!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community