cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheryl1979
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Firewall keeps turning off.

My McAfee firewall keeps turning off. Within seconds of turning it on it turns itself off again. Can anyone help me?

Cheryl

3 Replies
dba-g
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Firewall keeps turning off.

This worked for me (from Microsoft.com) ...

Cause

This may be caused because the “NT Service\MpsSvc” account does not have adequate permissions on the following registry key

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess

Solution

1. In Registry Editor, browse to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess
  2. Right click SharedAccess, and click Permissions.
  3. Click Add.
  4. In the “Enter the object names to select” field, type “NT SERVICE\mpssvc”. Then click Check Names. The name should change to MpsSvc
  5. Click OK.
  6. Select Full Control in the Allow column.
  7. Click OK.

Applies To

Windows 7 (all versions) / Windows Vista (all versions)

Then re-start the Windows firewall service, now my McAfee firewall stays 'on'.

bfender
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I had the same problem and suspected a virus.  This fixed my problem:

Run the ESET rogue app remover below in the link below first and then run the ESET servicesrepair.exe found on the page in the second link.  After that, reboot.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2372

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2895&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=13678...

At first Mcafee kept warning that the firewall was off but then it stopped and said all was fine and that the firewall was on.  When you went to the firewall settings it said it was off and if you clicked to turn it on it would blink on for a sec and then turn off again.  I tried all kinds of fixes but the one above finally worked.

Message was edited by: bfender on 5/6/13 1:31:54 AM CDT
user_193260
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Hi Cheyl.

Please go to Services (Start>Run>type and enter "services.msc")  and check if Windows Firewall is started and set to Automatic startup.

If Windows Firewall service is not started: try starting it up by right clicking and selecting the start option. (Following steps are valid only on Win Vista and 7 OS)

1. If you get a message with Error code: 5 at the end--  try the suggestion from 1st reply to your post.
  2. If you get a message with Error code: 1068 at the end--  try the suggestion from 1st reply to your post and follow further..
  • In Registry Editor, browse to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpsSvc
  • Right click MpsSvc, and click Permissions.
  • Click Add.
  • In the “Enter the object names to select” field, type “NT SERVICE\mpssvc”. Then click Check Names. The name should change to MpsSvc
  • Click OK
  • Select Full Control in the Allow column.
  • Click OK.
  • In Registry Editor, browse to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE
  • Right click BFE, and click Permissions.
  • Click Add.
  • In the “Enter the object names to select” field, type “NT SERVICE\bfe”. Then click Check Names. The name should change to BFE
  • Click OK.
  • Select Full Control in the Allow column.
  • Click OK.
  • Turn on Firewall and verify if it stays on.

If Windows Firewall is started and is set to Automatic startup, then please verify if both McAfee Firewall services are running and set to Automatic start up type.

In case, everything is fine with McAfee services too, please try doing a complete re-installation of McAfee (Do run MCPR tool).

If there is any problem with the McAfee Firewall services, please do let know. Will look for further work arounds.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community