Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syverson
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Block incoming connections

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a netgear router and the router log shows it is detecting (and hopefully blocking) incoming connections like port scans or DoS attacks.

But McAfee running on my Win10 machine shows it is also blocking connections from external computers around the world trying to connect to high TCP ports.

Question is, why would these be coming in to my PC at all and how do I effectively block all these?   Should I configure some Defender rules to block all unknown incoming connections?  Looks like Defender is controlled by McAfee if it is installed but I plan to uninstall that.

Many thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
siddharth_r
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 2

Re: Block incoming connections

Jump to solution

Hi @Syverson 

The Firewall provides many levels of protection, each managed through lists and rules. Some rules are created automatically during installation as the Firewall detects the network type. Some rules are created after installation as installed apps are detected. Please follow the link or more information on incoming connection blocking.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
siddharth_r
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 2

Re: Block incoming connections

Jump to solution

Hi @Syverson 

The Firewall provides many levels of protection, each managed through lists and rules. Some rules are created automatically during installation as the Firewall detects the network type. Some rules are created after installation as installed apps are detected. Please follow the link or more information on incoming connection blocking.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community