cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inteluser
Contributor
Message 121 of 151

Re: mmsshost.exe is using 77% of RAM

After (being skeptical) downloading the software that you recommended, I have turned back the Real-Time Scanning after I was advised to as it may have been the cause of this stupid glitch.

Its the 3rd day, I used it the almost the whole day, downloading and using it and stuff like that.

But no problem arise! Is this the cure for McAfee?

Thanks to besoindaide for posting here.

siddharth_r
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 122 of 151

We are glad to know that issue is fixed. Please let us the version of McAfee installed now from about screen.

Regret for inconvenience caused.

Regards
Siddhartha
McAfee Tier 2.5 Technician

Visje
Contributor III
Message 123 of 151

You have got te be kidding me!!!!

ONE response and according to you the issue is resolved?????
Is this the way McAfee listens and helps its customers?

Get a grip, read the forums and see this is a major issue, not one you can label resolved because ONE reply says so. Read all of my posts, after a few days, sometimes a week, it came back. Still I have to shutdown the scanner to be able to use my computer.

siddharth_r
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 124 of 151

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please reply to the private message which I sent to you.

Regards
Siddhartha
McAfee Tier 2.5 Technician

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 125 of 151

I herewith agree with ‘Visje’ and specially because he was/is very active on this specific forum.

When I first mentioned the possible answer to this issue, he did say that he tried himself the same tool and that after a week or so, the issue reappeared. Therefore I understand his frustration over the lack of response from McAfee.

Personally, I have been in contact with another McAfee technician (Selvan), provided him logs when the issue was present. It has costed me ages to gather the info, since the Laptop was almost not responded due to the issue. And guess what, after my last posting (with additional logs), I have not heard anymore from him! No thanks, no feedback, … nothing for many weeks!

And today we got a new Technician who is not aware of the whole mailing that customers have exchanged on this forum for months by now. Success to all of us.

And by the way, like I said last week, I still monitor the Laptop for the second week now, after having used the removal tool (see previous mails), and I still can confirm, at least right now, that the mmsshost.exe is NOT making any problem. Hopefully will continue like this.

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 126 of 151

@ SiddharthaMcAfee Tier 2.5 Technician:

And would it be possible for the rest of the community to know what this private message says? If aprropriate obviously.

Why can't McAfee post it to all users having the same issue for month? We all could perhaps help or benefit from it.

At least we would all know that something is happening at McAfee, or may be not!

Visje
Contributor III
Message 127 of 151

besoindaide: the message was to ask for remote access to my computer, which I refused.

Like you said in your follow up, finally after months a tech gets the order to solve this issue, but he is starting all over again. You already sent your logs. Remote access yo my machine is a real "No! No!".

(as for my own test 'till now: Defender and Malware Bytes are running smoothly, but because I paid so much money for McAfee, and because I use it for so many years (nostalgic), some part of me still want to use McAfee, but the point of release is closing in fast )

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 128 of 151

Hello Besoin

The link to the uninstall tool that you have mentioned is incorrect. The correct link is http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp which is the MCPR tool used to remove McAfee Consumer Products.

Also, I understand that the issue is resolved on your device, can you also check the version of McAfee installed and update me.

Open McAfee -> Go to Account ->  Open About

Regards
Farhan
Tier 2.5 Technician

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 129 of 151

Hello Farhan, This is going to be a long message (sorry to all users) for the following reasons:

1st of all, the link you give us right now for the MCPR tool has already been communicated in January to the users that are having the issue. See the snapshot hierunder:

McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

Peacekeeper wrote (11-jan-18 09:01) 

Uninstall via windows Programs and features then run  MCPR, Download the MCPR tool.

Reboot and follow the preparation steps for an install. Mcafee install preparation steps.

I found this completely resolved the issue for me. Thanks peacekeeper

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, this option did not work for everyone and that's why mails are growing up since Jan 11 (we are now passed mid-march).

Then a week ago, I had a chat session with one of McAfee Technician. We talked about the issue and he asked me to use the alternative tool (as mentioned at the end of the chat). Below is a summary of our chat session (I removed the name of the tech, but you can surely refer back to him via the session code):

________________________________________________________________________________________

McAfee LLC

Chat session.

Save your case number for further reference: 2416060770 

You are currently chatting with: xxxx (name removed and replaced by: xxx_McAfee LLC. 

11:29 AM  Besoindaide (me): From the last Windows 10 Creator update, I am having serious problems with the McAfee product and specially caused by the mmsshost.exe piece of software that freeze almost completely the laptop when starting up. This s/w is using up to 90% of the CPU usage.

You are currently chatting with: xxx_McAfee LLC

11:30 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC: thank you for contacting McAfee support. My name is Xxx_McAfee LLC. I'll be glad to assist you.

11:31 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC: As I understand that, you are getting CPU utilization high due to McAfee, am I correct?

11:33 AM            Me: Absolutely correct. I have two pieces of equipment, one PC and one Laptop. PC under win10 creator runs fine, but the laptop is unusable due to mmsshost.exe hanging up on CPU at ±75 to 90%.

11:34 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC: I totally understand your concern. Let me check your account details and see what best I can do.

11:35 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC: I will be available throughout the chat session, to answer your queries. In case the session gets disconnected, we will call you back. However, if you don’t receive a call back within 15 minutes. Please contact us using the following link: https://service.mcafee.com. The Service Request Number for this chat session is 484570-2416060770.

11:35 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC: Are you chatting with me from the computer where you are experiencing the issue?

11:36 AM            Me:  No, as I said, if I was using the laptop, we would not be able to chat as I have to wait 10's of minutes before the laptop reacts.

11:38 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC:  what I would recommend you to is run a tool. McAfee Virtual Technician.

11:39 AM            Me: I did it already and many times. The MVT could not identify anything at all.

11:40 AM            Me: I saw that on the McAfee site for support and downloaded it immediately.

11:41 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC: Then what we would recommend is uninstall and reinstall McAfee.

11:42 AM            Me: Again, I did it several times, completely uninstalled it, and re-installed the latest version. No success. Here I did use MCPR.

11:44 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC:  you will have to use a tool to uninstall McAfee. The tool can be downloaded from the link "http://us.mcafee.com/apps/mdm/en-us/8.7_asp/getmcsubdbtool.asp". Please do use the tool to uninstall and reinstall.

11:45 AM            Me:  OK, but you need to know that I uninstalled it using similar tools that completely removed all hidden files (and checked that this was the case). Here I did use MCPR.

11:46 AM            Xxx_McAfee LLC:  I do understand, but try this with the tool in case you are still getting the issue. Please do contact back from the computer you are facing the issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and since that day, the laptop is running without that mmsshost issue (and I hope for always!)

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 130 of 151

Hello again, as requested, the laptop has the following S/W installed:

McAfee® Total Protection

Version: 16.0

Release name: 16.0.R9

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community