Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vwalker
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Vulnerability Scanner and 7-Zip

Jump to solution

Hi. I have McAfee All Access Total Protection. I also have the utility 7-Zip version 9.20.0.0 installed. Vulnerability Scanner notifies me every week that I need to update 7-Zip to version 9.20.0.0, the latest version. If I click Install Updates, McAfee reports a successful update after a few seconds. And the next time Vulnerability Scanner runs, it will report that I still need to update 7-Zip.

I have confirmed my version of 7-Zip, downloaded the latest version (9.20.0.0), uninstalled and reinstalled it, all without effect.

I have Windows 10, but this was occurring with Windows 7 before the upgrade. I am using McAfee Vulnerability Scanner version 4.0, Build 4.0.8025, Last update 4/9/2016.

What can I do to get Vulnerability Scanner to stop notifying me of this false positive? Is there a workaround for this? Or should I just live with it?

Thanks very much!

Vic Walker

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vwalker
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Re: Vulnerability Scanner and 7-Zip

Jump to solution

Whoops, you are so right! I checked some time back, and 9.20.0.0 was the current version, but I had not checked recently. I just now uninstalled the old version and have installed the new. Thanks Ex_Brit.

I should note, however, that Vulnerability Scanner was reporting incorrectly that it had installed the latest version. Oh well, let's see if that fixes the problem.

Vic

View solution in original post

12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

I have 7-Zip 15.14 installed.  Not sure that 9.20 is rather outdated?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

If you feel comfortable doing so. You can simply go to Navigation/Vulnerabllity Scanner/Scheduled Scan Settings/ and set it to   'Don't set a schedule scan'

Then simply run one when you see fit. As for it incorrectly informing you that your program still needs to be updated. It also could be that it indeed does? This may be a 'Bug' That needs looking into ?

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

I see Colleague Ex_Brit has added to the discussion. As I do not utilize Vulnerability Scanner, and he does. I would follow suit as to what he suggests.

All the BEST,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

I just ran it and all it misread was my Skype version (offered the same version that I already had)...which I reported some time back.

- are you aware of any problem with MVS and 7-Zip?

That should alert the person who deals with it.

vwalker
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Whoops, you are so right! I checked some time back, and 9.20.0.0 was the current version, but I had not checked recently. I just now uninstalled the old version and have installed the new. Thanks Ex_Brit.

I should note, however, that Vulnerability Scanner was reporting incorrectly that it had installed the latest version. Oh well, let's see if that fixes the problem.

Vic

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

Mine is on 9.20 and VS always finds an update but after updating  never changes from 9.20 though.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

OK I'm hoping that the McAfee person will see this on Monday. I will email as well.

Meanwhile check the 7-Zip website as I believe the version is old.

Of course it may vary with machine as to what is offered I suppose.

7-Zip has never had an option to check for updates unfortunately so one tends to forget about it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

McAfee staff have noted this and will be acting.  I was wrong earlier when I stated that MVS isn't updated regularly, apparently it is - weekly.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 13

Re: Re: Vulnerability Scanner and 7-Zip

Jump to solution

Just checking if you are still facing the issue. If so please post back the version of McAfee Security Center and Vulnerability Scanner.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community