Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marceloros66
Contributor
Message 41 of 50

Re: Mcafee Livesafe not opening, internet not working

Jump to solution

Hi - any news on this?
I selected the easy solution of doing nothing, i.e. also "do not to open Chrome".

But I like to know when I can use Chrome again without expecting antivirus blockages.

Thanks !

tjw62
Former Member
Message 42 of 50

Jump to solution

Hi, I can tell you that I followed the steps outlined in Post 38 some weeks ago now, and since then I have not had problems using Chrome.  (Before then, I was having lots of problems.)

fats25
Former Member
Message 43 of 50

Jump to solution

I have read the thread in full.  This morning my PC decided it needed to restart to install some updates - I did not notice which ones.

Subsequent to this I have no internet connectivity, and am pretty sure this is related to LiveSafe.   I cannot get into the console.  I tried to stop services, and then to uninstall from windows with no joy.   I have now tried the MCPR tool, and it does not work.

It asks me approx. 5 times to enter security code.   Once it finally accepts, the dialogue box just goes grey, and nothing happens.      It has been flakey before with blocking internet access, but this is first time I have had to go as far as uninstalling.  Normally I only have to restart the services.

How do I get the product uninstalled?

Edit - added it does eventually come back and say the MCPR tool is not responding after approx. 20 mins. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 44 of 50

Jump to solution

Sounds like your system is somewhat messed up and you have slow latency.  I would call Technical Support, it's free of charge.

That's assuming you are free of malware.   See HERE for help with that.  Also don't use registry cleaners, as those cause this sort of thing too.

Technical Support

fats25
Former Member
Message 45 of 50

Jump to solution

On the 2nd attempt at running the tool it has removed Livesafe.   It took ages, and appeared to hang, before eventually stating successful.

Interestingly it has kept Security Scan Plus installed, and this seems to be working, and is now stating that I am using Defender and Windows Firewall.   If I click on the "See McAfee products that can protect you" link I can re-purchase the software.   I am not sure if my subscription is actually valid anymore or not, and cannot find anything related to my previous subscription.   It may have come with the machine?

I need to look into further.

Suffice to say machine is now working, without mcafee protection, and I need to find my original purchase, or re-purchase.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 46 of 50

Jump to solution

Please disregard McAfee Security Scan Plus. As it is only a Marketing tool/Software. You can safely uninstall it..

Remove "McAfee Security Scan Plus" (Uninstall Guide) Please read.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 47 of 50

Jump to solution

Thanks Catdaddy, I was going to say uninstall Security Scan Plus as it's unnecessary and may be responsible for that slowness.

It installs optionally with many 3rd party applications such as most Adobe products, etc. so one has be careful when clicking options updating or installing such things.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 48 of 50

Jump to solution

If you can't locate your original purchase or your online account.  Customer Service can help you free of charge, same link I posted earlier.

fats25
Former Member
Message 49 of 50

Jump to solution

Thanks guys for the quick responses.   Much appreciated.   Security Scan Plus is now uninstalled.

I do vaguely remember seeing something recently that said my subscription had expired for Mcafee, and thought I will get around to it when I returned from a business trip (which was today).   I tried to log into my Mcafee online account, and could only get in with a very old email account credentials, with a service that expired in 2013.   I know I bought a new laptop in June 2014, and the way my brain works is that a PC will only last 3 years, so it makes sense that I would have bought a 3 year subscription to LiveSafe.

Having looked at the products, and what I actually use - Antivirus Plus is sufficient for me - so I have installed that at 25 quid for the year.  That will keep me going for another 12 months by which time I will have bought a new machine.

It would be nice that expiry of your license did not mean a complete lock down of your machine - I guess there is some sort of failsafe built in there to ensure that if you stop being protected, your internet access is stopped?  It does seem a bit heavy handed.   Anyway I am up and running now.   Again thanks for those that responded.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 50 of 50

Jump to solution

Sounds good.  Yes I know regarding your last comment, it helps to  act on reminders that popup occasionally regarding an account about to expire.

Of course you may have dismissed them without realising.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community