Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 71 of 86

Re: Error attempting to Shred a SINGLE file

Jump to solution

McAfee Tier 2.5 support have confirmed that this issue is still NOT fixed in Total Protection v.16.0.R2.

Peacekeeper
Message 72 of 86

Jump to solution

You mean 16.0.r6 I assume did they say if they have the fix or still digging.

Ok on 16.0.R6 and in explorer found a file abook-3.mab renamed it to ab ook-3.mab and shredded it. In the popup asking are you sure it showed file as abook-3.mab ie no space. Strange and it shredded the file and 5 others i setup.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 73 of 86

Jump to solution

I clean installed Total Protection v16.0.R6 and reported my findings to McAfee support.  Here is the relevant part of the email reply I received from tier 2.5 support -

"We regret the current predicament caused due to this issue and thank you for bringing this to our notice.  I’ve observed the same issue with shredder on Ver: 16.0.6 during testing.

The fix for shredder issue is not included in the recently released WSS 16.06 and is still under investigation."

So much for McAfee having previously indicated that they had engineered a solution for this issue - see my post of 20/12/2017.

Peacekeeper
Message 74 of 86

Jump to solution

I will see what the T3s today say in our mod call. Still I am not seeing this in mine will try the wife's 16.0.5 install.

Ok shredded a file abc abc abc.eml and two folders with spaces in name all shredded . sorry works for me unless I am doing something different. When the popup says shredding file and the name the spaces are removed in the name.. Will Mention today

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 75 of 86

Jump to solution

Total Protection has just updated itself to v16.0.R7 - the 'shredding issue' is still not fixed at this release.

I've informed McAfee tier 2.5 support that this issue is still outstanding.

Peacekeeper
Message 76 of 86

Jump to solution

So can you go through what you actually do when you choose to shred a file as I still cannot get the issue to happen. this in R6 and 5. I asked in our call and the tech will try to monitor it.  As you have 2.5 involved and he is 2.5 as well best they help though I am interested in your process.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 77 of 86

Jump to solution

I have a folder - 'McAfee Test Shred Files' containing 3 different file types - see below

TP #01.PNG

These files were used when I originally thought the issue was file-type dependent; however, as we now know, the issue occurs when a folder / file name contains a 'space' character,

I right-click any (or select all) of these files and choose  'Shred' from the drop-down menu.  This runs the 'shred' function of Total Protection and I get the error message similar to

TP #02.PNG

The number of items varies depending on how many files I attempt to shred; in this example, I attempted to 'shred' all 3 files in the one operation.

A similar message occurs when I attempt to 'shred' the folder itself.

NB the McAfee ticket reference is #2269600696 .

I've just made a discovery that may shed some light as to where the issue occurs.

If I load Total Protection, select 'Shredder' from the Navigation Centre, use the 'Let Me Choose' option, click 'Shred' and select my test folder on drive M:, the folder is shredded OK!!

Weird eh?

Peacekeeper
Message 78 of 86

Jump to solution

Ok set it up your way

All files and folder shred by right clicking. This means Livesafe works. Sorry do not have TP any more worth telling Mcafee will pass this on.

to note and pass on

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 79 of 86

Jump to solution

Just had a real 'live' telephone conversation with Siddhartha, the tier 2.5 tech who is overseeing this issue for me / us.

All he could offer in the way of a 'resolution' to this issue was that a further 'major' release of Total Protection is due to hit comsumers sometime next month, with the 'possibility' of a fix being enclosed in it.

I'm not holding my breath; however, watch this space for further developments.

Peacekeeper
Message 80 of 86

Jump to solution

Yes that was mentioned in our last call 16.0.R9 maybe but with the forum issues I got distracted and forgot to update you sorry. I gather as there is a workaround that it would not be a high priority.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community