Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 61 of 86

Re: Error attempting to Shred a SINGLE file

Jump to solution

I've just had a telephone conversation with the Tier 2 tech who 'owns' this issue / ticket..

He was very upbeat, as it turns out I'm not the only person who has this, or similar, issue.

He has indicated that progress is being made in resolving my ticket, possibly with a solution - whatever that may be - within the next couple of weeks.

Watch this space for further developments!!

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 62 of 86

Jump to solution

Hello

The person you just spoke is my colleague from Tier 2.5 (3rd level of Technical Support) and not Tier 2. I will oversee the progress of this issue and keep you updated.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 63 of 86

Jump to solution

I stand corrected, and apologies to your colleague.

TIA for your help.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 64 of 86

Jump to solution

Selvan is already aware as to the state of this issue; however, for those of not in 'information' loop, here's the current state of play -

At long last, McAfee Technical Support have confirmed that there is a bug in their shredding code, which is in both their Internet Security & Total Protection products.

Manifestation

If you try to shred a file with a <space> character in file name, the file will not be shredded; if there is no <space> character in the file name it will.

So

'file name.ext'    will not shred

but

'filename.ext'      will

The same issue has been identified with folder names.

WorkAround

Obvious I know, but rename the file / folder to remove any spaces & then shred it.

McAfee are still working on a permanent fix.

Peacekeeper
Message 65 of 86

Jump to solution

Thanks that is good to know

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 66 of 86

Jump to solution

It's now 4 weeks since I last heard from Siddhartha, when he said he would contact me again when they have something to report.  However, would it be possible to give an unofficial update as to progress?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 67 of 86

Jump to solution

I have brought this up as a "Topic of Discussion" on our Conference Call today.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 68 of 86

Jump to solution

The latest information I have re this issue is that a fix has been engineered; however, as yet, it has not been scheduled for release in an update to Total Protection / Internet Security.

Until this has been issued, I would like to keep this thread as 'Unresolved'.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 69 of 86

Jump to solution

So a fix is in the works, but when we don't know.  Thanks for letting us know and Merry Christmas.

Peacekeeper
Message 70 of 86

Jump to solution

Ok I just shredded two files and 1 shortcut all with spaces in them. 1 had two single spaces and it shredded. I am on 16.0.r6 which is only available via reinstall . Upgrade not till early January. I do not know if this version has the fix but it works

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community