Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ButtonBelle
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Spyware

Hi,

Would it be be possible for someone to remotely install spyware on an android device, via a photo?  Say, they send me a photo on a chat app, I click on it and save to device - can that install something dodgy?

I have pre-installed McAfee on two android devices.  Since getting it into my head that this happened I am also running a Norton subscription as well as free Malwarebytes and AVG and nothing is showing.

6 Replies
Kumar_suman
Message 2 of 7

Re: Spyware

Hi @ButtonBelle,

Greetings from McAfee.

An image file can contain Malware and that can compromise your Device as file format can easily be interpreted by hackers. McAfee Antivirus is capable of detecting and removing Malware and stop them to do any damage.

You should only run one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program Conflicts, false virus alerts, and lowered protection.

Regards,

Kumar

ButtonBelle
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thank you.

So, if this image container spyware then the sender of the photo would have full access to my phone - photos etc?

Kumar_suman
Message 4 of 7

Hi @ButtonBelle ,

McAfee will definitely  block any spy attempt on your device. If your device is unprotected with any kind of antivirus, there are chances that spyware can gain access to your phone data, location and other information.

We recommend you to run a thorough scan using Mcafee. If McAfee shows Secure, that means your device is protected.

Regards,

Kumar

ButtonBelle
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Cheers. 

Because McAfee is pre-installed on my phone I went into Device Care - Security - Scan phone and scanned that way.  Is that enough or should I download the McAfee app also?  If the spyware came from a photo would that photo/file need to be scanned?

Sorry, I'm not very technology-minded!

ButtonBelle
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Is this enough?

Kumar_suman
Message 7 of 7

Hi @ButtonBelle ,

Greetings from McAfee. If McAfee is pre-installed, its not required to download Mcafee again. You do not have to scan file individually, McAfee will alert you if any threat found.

Regards,

Kumar

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community