cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAforked
Contributor II
Message 1 of 10

Cannot remove McAfee LiveSafe (ASUS packaged laptop)

Jump to solution

Cannot remove McAfee LiveSafe (ASUS packaged laptop)

Am posting this as I don't see the same issue (there are similar ones) being posted and I am unable find a solution so hope that someone might know the answer before I hear back from support.

I would like to remove McAfee so I can use my perferred AV.

Issue:
Cannot uninstall McAfee Livesafe from an ASUS Win10 laptop that came pre-packaged with McAfee. Try uninstall from Add/remove programs after selecting McAfee LiveSafe and hit uninstall, McAfee UI Host window comes up with a html like page with the message "Navigation to the webpage was canceled. What you can try: Refresh the page.". There is no way to refresh the page so unable to proceed with the uninstall.

Things tried after hours of research:
1. Followed https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034198/. DOESN'T WORK - Why? See issue description above.
2. Using MCPR tool - DOESN'T WORK - Stuck on "Removing product MFP" after left for hours. Tried few times with same result.
3. Using Revo Uninstaller - DOESN'T WORK - Revo uses the same uninstall method as Win10 by using McAfee UI Host so getting the same "Navigation to the webpage was canceled"
4. Using ESET AV Remover tool - DOESN'T WORK - ESET remove method also uses McAfee UI Host to remove and get same webpage was canceled
5. Tried booting in to Windows 10 SafeMode to remove - didn't work either.

6. Tried Windows 10 factory reset by removing all files and setting to default. Still has some removal problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAforked
Contributor II
Message 4 of 10

Re: Cannot remove McAfee LiveSafe (ASUS packaged laptop)

Jump to solution

This problem was resolved by contacting McAfee Support.

Via remote control they ran the MCRP tool. During the whole process they had to force kill several processes from the task manager to have the uninstaller actually finish successfully.

The first was at where I initially got stuck at "Removing product MFP" the agent had to kill a task for it to continue. There were 1 or two more later on. He did it so quick I couldn't see what the name of the tasks were.

Suggest best to contact support if you have the same problem.

Overall, not impressed with the buggy McAfee software. Their support was good though.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @McAforked 

I have sent you private message. Please check and reply the same to take it further.

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

McAforked
Contributor II
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi, I only have access to forum via Mobile browser right now and I couldn't find any private message section under my account. Thanks for trying but the problem was resolved by McAfee Support which I'll detail next.

McAforked
Contributor II
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

This problem was resolved by contacting McAfee Support.

Via remote control they ran the MCRP tool. During the whole process they had to force kill several processes from the task manager to have the uninstaller actually finish successfully.

The first was at where I initially got stuck at "Removing product MFP" the agent had to kill a task for it to continue. There were 1 or two more later on. He did it so quick I couldn't see what the name of the tasks were.

Suggest best to contact support if you have the same problem.

Overall, not impressed with the buggy McAfee software. Their support was good though.

Nikhil_GN
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Please suggest me the solution. Im also facing the same problem. 

Nikhil_GN
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Please suggest me the solution (**personal information omitted**)

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

hello,

have you tried uninstalling as suggested in this article;

Uninstall

first use method 1 from this article to remove mcafee. also look for webadvisor from mcafee to remove from Windows.

after removing do a reboot and i suggest using method 2 aswell

this describes using the MCPR tool that is removing leftovers

hope this helps you removing McAfee from your computer

greetings

Y0shiii
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

You first need to download the MCPR.exe (McAfee Consumer Product Removal-Tool) from Mcafees website. (https://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/SupportTools/MCPR/MCPR.exe)

Then, while it is running you need to open the Task manager and force stop some of the Mcafee processes that are running in the background. You can see if it worked when the processbar keeps moving. 

If it shows that the deinstallation was not complete, dont worry. After a system restart mcafee should not run anymore.

Duck9000
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

You were so lucky. You must have found the one agent @ McAfee that knew this solution.

The problems uninstalling McAfee go back at least a decade. It's annoying. The guy I'm talking to know is telling me that the problem with the package software is it is tied into the operating system. That may be true, given that the person that helped you had to kill several tasks to get it to complete. That sill should not stop them from knowing how to get rid of this annoying program.

Duck9000
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Restarting after deinstall failure does not help.  Also not helpful to do the uninstall after activation because at this point, I think we are all having problems after we have "done" an uninstall.

I FINALLY got this resolved. McAforked posted the solution on 10-27-19. And McAfee support FINALLY resolved this for me today. I had to get escalated. 

Support did the fix for me. I talked to Adhik (the support guy that fixed it), and I'm sure I'm not clear on all the details, but the problem involves a "McAfee Protect" program. It had to be killed in task manager, and then removed. Adhik then signed into my laptop as Administrator (must be activated using cmd prompt run as administrator with "net user administrator /active:yes". Then sign out and log back in selecting the administrator user. Then you can run the mcpr.exe.

I've spent a couple of years trying to resolve this on two different ASUS laptops. McAfee really needs to get their act together. Ideally it should not happen. If it does, the fix should be easily discoverable. If it can't be found, then support should know right away what to do. I should not have to spend 2 1/2 hours on support.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community