cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slwjghwi
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Android: McAfee draining battery.

I noticed my phone losing charge, and found that McAfee has used 22% of the day's power,  even above the screen which has only used 12%. Thus has been going on for several days but today is theworst . WWhat on earth is happening?

21 Replies
junk_cia_man_ju
Former Member
Message 2 of 22

Re: Android: McAfee draining battery.

Maybe you should change your Real-Time protection

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 22

Probably best to ask Mobile Support directly as I haven't seen that happening on my Android devices.

Also they need to know if there are problems.

It's free of charge.  Mobile Support (alter country at top right if necessary)

slwjghwi
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Ha bloody ha.

junk_cia_man_ju
Former Member
Message 5 of 22

Now I have it installed on my LG Flex 2 device... and I have no battery draining:)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 22

Well on my Android device the software interface has a battery optimization section.  If your shows the same, then try using it.

Prime battery drainers are location services and Bluetooth, see if those are really needed and if not turn them off for starters.

slwjghwi
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Thanks for the suggestion of contacting Tech Support.  McAfee chat initially assumed I am worried about generic battery drain, but eventually understood. They have arranged for a senior technician to phone me this evening.  I wil report back on what they say.

The issue is that it is McAfee itself that is the battery drain.  So far today it has used 19% of the reduction in charge.  I still have 51% left at 4pm, because I have not been using the phone a huge amount today.  The other apps are fine.  Location services and bluetooth are NOT the issue.

It never used to feature on the first two pages of battery using apps.  Now it is ALWAYS on the top page, usually second behind Android System. This is on my Nexus 5.  On my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, McAfee is NOT a major user of battery.

I've tried McAfee battery optimiser before.  It messed up several apps and shut my wifi and bluetooth down.  Not great when I want to connect to my car.  It doesn't do anything to prevent itself using battery.  It seemed to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut.  I prefer Greenify, which does an excellent job.

2015-11-06 16.21.38.png2015-11-06 16.22.07.png

2015-11-06 16.56.07.png

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 22

I agree Battery Optimization can have some undesirable effects.  In my case the screen dimmed after only a few seconds.  I don't use it enough to see anything else that would be of concern but I believe you, as you obviously use it much more than I.   It appears you have a handle on what the problem is, finding a solution would be beyond this community other than suggesting 1 of 2 approaches: Technical Support and escalate it as far as it will go, or seek another brand.

Sorry I really don't know what else to suggest.

slwjghwi
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Thanks for thinking about it.  I found another user who had a similar problem in 2014, but no idea if he pursued it - I've asked.

I was promised a call from the senior technician between 7pm and 9pm this evening.  At 8:58 I got a call apologising that they have had technical difficulties, so could they call back at 11pm.  Sorry, I'll be aslepp - she hadn't realised my local time. I agreed to a call back at 10pm; it is now 10:40 and I'm off to bed.

The McAfee app is still using battery.  A reboot is in order, maybe a reinstall.   I'm regretting having a 5 year subscription.  Shame as it works pretty seamlessly until now, and still works seamlessly on my Galaxy Tab S.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 22

That's too bad, I'm sure they'll call you.  They're in India so time-zones sometimes get mixed up.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community