Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tambey64
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

McAfee on MacOS - Tips for minimizing impact

Hi All,

I got a new laptop at work earlier this year and my work have started install McAfee on our Mac machines. It's been causing me a few issues the main ones being:

- "datalossd" process spiking CPU like crazy. This really slows down my machine. I'm guessing it also contributes to my 13" macbook pro 2019 only getting 2 hours of battery life, despite my previous 16" macbook pro https://tutuappx.com/ (can't recall year) getting 3-5hrs on the same load.
- CMD+A getting disabled by the vShieldScanner process in MS Teams. This is small but really annoying. So far it's only https://tweakbox.mobi/ in Teams thankfully.

I don't want to disable it as I work in healthcare as a software engineer, so data security is super important. But does anyone know anyways to minimize its impact?

2 Replies
Kumar_suman
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee on MacOS - Tips for minimizing impact

Hi @tambey64 

We understand your concern. Please disable scheduled scan from the UI. reboot the machine and check issue status.

Regards

Kumar

markeakin
Contributor II
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee on MacOS - Tips for minimizing impact

I've been having the same issue. I disabled scheduled scans, problem didn't go away. I spent an hour with a tech support last week who installed a new version from scratch. Guess what? A scheduled scan started 11:00 pm on Friday night. Now, on Sunday afternoon there is a 34GB instance (one of many) of VShieldScanner clogging my CPU. Nope. Problem not fixed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community