Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amw
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Cannot print to wireless printer

Jump to solution

Hello!

If anyone can tell me how to bypass McAfee security to print to my wireless printer, I would appreciate it!

I know that my wireless printer is connected to my Linksys network because I can print when I turn McAfee off.  I'm sure that I need to change something in the firewall settings, but just not sure how to do that.

Here is more information about my system:

- Operating System: Mac OSX 10.9.4

- McAfee Version 3.1.0.0 (Anti-malware: version 2.1.0)

- Epson WF3540 Wireless Printer (version 9.4)

Thank you ahead of time for any assistance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yflyer
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Re: Cannot print to wireless printer

Jump to solution

I just had the same problem pop up a day or so ago.

I couldn't send documents from my Mac to the wireless printer. I got a message that

maybe it was an old printer, etc. in any case deleted it and when i went to add a printer

nothing showed up except blank box.

So, I re-setup the printer and it said "connected", downloaded

the right drivers, went to system preferences, tried to add a printer,

same thing-so figured McAfee is doing something to block it.

Checked McAfee Virus Protector Plus preferences -home and work on.

Noticed a "reset firewall" and did that. Now saw home & work &  "ethernet 1 connected"

and an IP address.

Went back tp system preferences-printer/scanner-, chose + (add printer) and a Canon 4800

appeared in a box below-selected that-it installed and i can now print and scan wirelessly.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Moved this to Consumer > MAC Products for better attention.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi

We might need to Add the IP of Wireless Printer to McAfee Firewall's Safe list. Open Preferences in McAfee GUI and Select Firewall -> Add the IP of Printer and check to see if you are able to print Wirelessly.

yflyer
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

I just had the same problem pop up a day or so ago.

I couldn't send documents from my Mac to the wireless printer. I got a message that

maybe it was an old printer, etc. in any case deleted it and when i went to add a printer

nothing showed up except blank box.

So, I re-setup the printer and it said "connected", downloaded

the right drivers, went to system preferences, tried to add a printer,

same thing-so figured McAfee is doing something to block it.

Checked McAfee Virus Protector Plus preferences -home and work on.

Noticed a "reset firewall" and did that. Now saw home & work &  "ethernet 1 connected"

and an IP address.

Went back tp system preferences-printer/scanner-, chose + (add printer) and a Canon 4800

appeared in a box below-selected that-it installed and i can now print and scan wirelessly.

yflyer
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

See "Lew Austin" reply. Hope it helps.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

yflyer wrote:

See "Lew Austin" reply. Hope it helps.

Only you (and the Moderators) can see a poster's actual name.

So this is answered, thanks.

As this is such an old thread I will lock it shortly.

Gothamite
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

I recently installed McAfee that is within the last 2 or three weeks. I have in the last few days been unable to access my wireless printer which is not seeing me although previously over many years it had. My wife who runs a Mac Air laptop is still able to print . We are both on our home wifi network.

I have called Canon who did a thorough check and could not find a problem in the configuration of the printer. The printer is a Pixma MG6220. I have also been in touch with my ISP who say the router is OK.

I called McAfee and in a brief conversation was told it was a systemic problem and I should get in touch with HP who I purchased the PC from nearly four years ago.(not very happy with that reply which seemed abrupt and unlikely)I don't believe that is the the answer and I am about to uninstall McAfee as it seems intuitively to be the problem of my not being able to use my printer .Before I do that I would like to know whether there is any other option. So over to you community.

Karthik_K
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

@Gothamite

In this scenario, we have 2 options 

1. Change the network to Home or Work.

2. Create a custom firewall rule to allow printer

Please try this link to change the network type to "Home or Work" https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS102251

if it does not work, need to create a firewall rule to allow printers. Kindly let us know your McAfee and Mac version information.

Regards,

Karthik K

Areba21
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

I don't deal much with residential work, but have you tried pinging the printer's (11x17 laser printer) address from your desktop? My guess is that your router isn't smart enough to pass the address along to the switch. It should theoretically operate well, but there are a lot of bad consumer gadgets out there that don't work the way they "should" (im looking at you charter). You'd be far better off buying a good router and connecting your computers and wireless devices directly to it, rather than utilizing your ISP router/modem combo exclusively as a modem (you can log into its web interface and disable the router element of the modem).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community