cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emma19
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

McAfee found my email on the dark web but wouldn't redirect me to the page where I can get more info

I got a pop-up from McAfee saying they could search to see if my email was on the dark web. After I put it in, it said that they had found 4 breaches where my email had been leaked. However, when I tried to click on the option to be redirected to get more information about this and how to fix it... no new page popped up. I wouldn't redirect me. The option popped up once again, I filled in my email and clicked on the redirect button for the second time but got nowhere. 

Is there any way to fix this, get more info and remove my email from the dark web?

17 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 18

Re: McAfee found my email on the dark web but wouldn't redirect me to the page where I can get more

Hi @Emma19 

We are sorry for the inconvenience. We recommend that you to change your password for your email account. 

Please do refer the below Articles which has more information about Dark Web

What is Dark Web 

How to fix identity breaches 

Thanks,

Leelee13
Contributor II
Message 3 of 18

Re: McAfee found my email on the dark web but wouldn't redirect me to the page where I can get more

Just got the same thing. A very legit looking popup asking if I want the dark web checked for my email address. Comes back saying it's on there. Changed passwords for everything just in case, but it'd be nice to know what this actually is. Is this a legit service that McAfee now offers or is it a scam?

Chrissy1
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

I'm still confused by all this.  Yes I know about the Dark Web and if I am on there that I need to change my passwords.

You have not addressed the issue:-  Did these notices of breaches come from McAfee or are they actually phishing from the Dark Web or someone-else?

Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 18

Hi @Chrissy1 

Kindly provide screenshots from where these popups shows up. It would be helpful to assist you further resolving the issue.

Thanks,

Leelee13
Contributor II
Message 6 of 18

Not the person you were responding to, but if that user is getting the same pop up I am, it's the attached screenshot (if I've done that correctly). My email address was initially filled in, but I removed it before taking the screenshot.

Is it legit, or is it a scam?

Chrissy1
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

I spoke in person to someone at McAfee and they did not seem to be bothered about it - BUT could not tell me if it was real or fake!

Screenshot with my email blacked out.  Maybe you can tell me is it real or fake?

McAfee Scam Dark Stuff maybe 1.JPG

Walter3
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

This evening, I received the same message as on Chrissy's screenshot, clicked "Search for my email address" and did not receive any result. I am concerned that the message might not be genuine and hackers are behind it. WE NEED AN ANSWER FROM McAFEE QUICKLY, THANKS

Walter3
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

The message has just appeared again. Is it genuinely from McAfee or not?

Joseph12
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

I got this popup as well. Freaked me out. There's not a lot of information available, but according to this response from McAfee's Help account on twitter it appears that this popup is from McAfee. Sure would be nice if they put some more info out there about this.

McAfee Help on Twitter: "@PCafs0606 Thanks for reaching out, Paul. The screenshot you mentioned is f...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community