cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robsoti
Contributor
Message 11 of 35

Re: McAfee File Lock Blocked by Group Policy

I was able to go to safe mode to do the win7 part of the uninstall.. The message back was that it could not uninstall everything. Then I did the rest of the uninstall with mcpr. This also complained about not being able to remove everything. I did the reinstall, which was unsuccessful: it did not install mobk or virus scan. At this point I was able to do the win7 uninstall from normal mode (before I was getting insufficient acess error even thouh I am admin).. I again used mcpr to remove the rest of the software. Rebooted. Redownloaded and reinstalled. This install was even less successful than the first try. So I restored the system state back to what it was prior to the uninstall/reinstall ( I made a full backup). I am waitjng for a chance to see if the definitions update correctly (even though ABOUT does not work I know where on the hd the definitions are kept). If it appears the product is not updating properly, I will attempt the reinstall process again. If that is unsuccessful, I will remove it and find something else. I have already been online with free support. He did what I had already done and was less knowledgeable than I.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 35

Hang in there robsoti. Selvan will be getting back with you I,m sure. I know for a fact, he burnt the candle at both ends yesterday. ( Put in alot of hours). I had trouble sleeping,and noticed he was online at 1:45 Am my time, and was still working long afterwards late into the evening yesterday.

It would immensely help, to have a Service Request # so as he could go over what the TS Person did already.

Again, wishing you all the very best. Just a thought, did you ever run Malwarebytes (Free)?

Also, it wouldn,t hurt to run a Chkdsk r/ in Command Prompt. As I stated earlier, when someone as knowledgeable as Selvan gets involved, I find it best to listen to him.

Wishing you all the very best,

Regards,

Edited for typos...

on 7/27/14 9:08:15 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
robsoti
Contributor
Message 13 of 35

Order #:

- Service Request #: 1535228554

- Created Date: 07/25/2014 20:02:43

- Account E-mail:

- Description: Product McAfee Total Protection - 2013. "about" link will no longer display McAfee component versions. Could this be related to fact that File Lock is not running due to some kind of group policy restriction

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 35

Again, that would be a question that could  be better answered by Selvan. Is your Adobe Flash Player current?  (14.0.0.145) 

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
robsoti
Contributor
Message 15 of 35

yes.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 35

I've alerted support to add their thoughts here.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 17 of 35

Hi robsoti,

Please check if Windows Update is working fine. I have seen this case where Windows Update becomes corrupt thereby stopping McAFee Install.

I will be assisting you personally once above is confirmed.

robsoti
Contributor
Message 18 of 35

Sorry for delay. Some other issues now with the laptop. Internet (wireless or direct connect) is extremely slow in IE. Looks to be running okay from the PC I am typing this from. Will run some diagnostics and another scan, but did not see any rogue processes running in the Task Manager. Laptop worked fine this morning in this regard.

robsoti
Contributor
Message 19 of 35

Selvan,

Back on line. Switched to Chrome as IE was very unstable for some reason. This looks likes it working better. As far as Windows Update goes, I do it manually every Friday. This DSL connection is not that fast since we live out in a rural area. So I don't want it slowing things down unexpectedly.

robsoti
Contributor
Message 20 of 35

I have spent 36 hours this weekend on this. It takes about 1.5 hours to delete and reinstall McAfee (slow DSL out here in a rural area). I would also make a complete backup just in case the reinstall does not go well.Ran McAfee MVT yesterday, which again did not find anything wrong other than FILE LOCK process won't start. The ABOUT button that tells me what the dates are on the definitions doesn't work (i.e. nothing happens). The file lock monitor is being blocked by GROUP POLICY. I don't understand what GROUP POLICY could be in effect on a Windows 7 Home Premium edition OS with no other machines on line. I initially went down this path due to the ABOUT button. The virus software itself seemed to check out okay with MVT and I looked at the generated problem log. I am waiting for a virus update so I can tell if it is able to do its primary job. I have been forcing updates every so often this weekend in the hopes of seeing one, but it keeps coming back telling me everything is up-2-date. The file lock part is not that important in itself - I don't  use it. I am extremely frustrated with this product at the moment and have lost a lot of sleep and time trying to make sure this is working (its my wife's laptop - I don't use it too often). There may be other issues going on with the Laptop though (Looks like occassionally McAfee and the action center are communicating - the action center says the virus software is running,updating and that the firewall is off - all not true.If I can cleanly remove it all, I may be tempted to try something else. Or it may be time to pay someone to fix it. Don't like that option either, since the I made sure the laptop is kept up2date with all the windows and McAfee stuff. I scan it every two weeks for virus/malware/etc. Don't know that I did anything wrong or missed doing something I should have done.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community