cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily87
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

white rectangle

When I double click on the desktop icon or select the McAfee product from my toolbar, a white rectangle comes up and I am unable to scan my computer. I have restarted my computer and have uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee AntiVirus Plus. I want to be able to look at scan results and have the option to run a scan. I am using Internet Explorer 8. I have run the Virtual Technician program, which has reported everything is working fine. What should I try next?

Thank you,

Emily

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Re: white rectangle

When you uninstalled did you use this method?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot then run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

This white rectangle is it when you 1st open mcafee? If so that is a beta program effect ie you must have a beta browser do you. IE appears not to be beta so it could be a corrupt install.  Can you if necessary take a capture of the screen showing it.?

emily87
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

When I go to the add or remove programs in my control panel, for McAfee it has a button that is "Uninstall/Change". When I click on that, it opens the program/white rectangle again, and does not uninstall the program. How do I fix that?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Hi Emily87,

Please click on the first link posted above and click on the link on step no 2 (a)

Restart the computer.

Run the McAfee preinstall tool from here

Login to your McAfee account page : http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp and redownload your McAfee software .

Kindly let us know the status of your security center post the reinstallation

Thanks,

emily87
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

It said that I have had an incomplete uninstallation, so I am contacting tech support with the logs. I will let you know when that is fixed.

Thank you so much for your time,

Emily

emily87
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

The Tech support uninstalled McAfee using their program, then I restarted my computer, used the preinstall and download, but I am still getting the rectangle. Any more ideas? If I don't get something that works here, I will go back to the chat tech support, but I know they are busy and I'd like to try to fix it here first.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

What is the operating system installed on your computer?

Please run Windows update and install internet explorer 9, if Windows Vista/ 7 installed on the computer and let me know the result.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 8

As I asked can you provide a pic please

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community