Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zargoscus
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

weird program found running in task manager

Jump to solution

I need help identifying a weird program that pops up from time to time and seems to slow my computer very slightly. (maybe or maybe not)

When i open task manager under the application tab i see a program called ( intel security search toast ) with the place holder icon so its not defined (that file looking icon thing)

i searched intel and found nothing related any guesses?

please help and thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zargoscus
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Re: weird program found running in task manager

Jump to solution

i havnt had the event yet but its not a pop up there is no program that i can find and it just runs as a application but under processes tab there seems to be no process that correlates to the application. i did figure out after posting this that it is directly correlated to running Steam>Grand theft auto 5 but not every time (very rare occurrences and is correlated to computer slowing down (slightly.) and i dont know how much a screen shot of task manger will help but if there is something you could direct me to do to figure out more info about this program i would gladly appreciate it.

and nothing related to McAfee software app

View solution in original post

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

Moved to Consumer > General Discussion as I assume you are using home products.

Not sure what that is, can you provide a screen snip?  Post it here using the camera symbol in the top bar of the reply box.

Meanwhile check in Control Panel > Programs and Features for McAfee Security Scan Plus and if found, uninstall it.

It's a free tool that is an optional download with many 3rd party products, Adobe, uTorrent etc. & merely scans as a sales tool looking for missing security software.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

If not the 'McAfee Security Scan Plus' App, I wonder if the process is associated with the periodic 'Pop-Ups'/Toasts' ?

Reminding one to Scan, Etc?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Good suggestion, except I never see those and I hardly ever scan.  If so then wouldn't it coincide with a popup?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

I personally never seen them, however I am still on 14.0.6120...if that even matters? Kind of reminds me of the (Toaster/Pop-Up) one may get shortly after an Web Advisor update. Asking if you wish to use 'Secure Search'.

As you stated, it would help if we knew what the 'Pop-Ups' referred to.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

We're just guessing until I can see what exactly this is.   There would have to be a pop-up coinciding with the process in Task Manager.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

Very True   My Crystal Ball is in the Shop.....Hopefully the original poster can furnish us a 'Screen Shot'

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
zargoscus
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

i havnt had the event yet but its not a pop up there is no program that i can find and it just runs as a application but under processes tab there seems to be no process that correlates to the application. i did figure out after posting this that it is directly correlated to running Steam>Grand theft auto 5 but not every time (very rare occurrences and is correlated to computer slowing down (slightly.) and i dont know how much a screen shot of task manger will help but if there is something you could direct me to do to figure out more info about this program i would gladly appreciate it.

and nothing related to McAfee software app

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Ah, that does sound like an obvious candidate.  Glad you've figured it out, thanks for posting back.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Generally speaking usually when one runs a Steam/Minecraft/FoxHud and other 'Game' related applications/processes. McAfee will kick up a Prompt detecting it as Unknown/Suspicious or Artemis!. Since you seem to have narrowed it down to the installation, that could explain the periodic slow down of performance.

You could of course run the McAfee Getsusp Tool which will check all of your processes. Simply enter your Email Address under 'Preferences' before you scan. You can obtain this Superb Tool from here: 

Thank you for posting back,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community