Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 21 of 27

Re: mfewfpk.sys issue

Hi Peter,

WFC tool is designed to check the status of Windows Firewall & McAfee Personal Firewall Services on the computer.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 22 of 27

Hi Tony/Hayton,

I will check this with Support and confirm whether we are using this tool. As far as my knowledge it should be used in VRS  but never imagined it would have detections in VT.

Jayadeep: Will have this discussed through internal communication within  day or two when I get back to work (post day Off).

Will keep you guys posted on the status.

For cad_technique:

Please check the status of following services in Sevices management console (Press Win + R > type services.msc > Hit OK)

Base Filter Engine

Windows Firewall

McAfee Firewall Core Service

McAfee Personal Firewall

If any of the above mentioned services are stopped try starting them and post back the outcome..!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 27

Jayadeep NR wrote:

Hi Peter,

WFC tool is designed to check the status of Windows Firewall & McAfee Personal Firewall Services on the computer.

It's cad_techniche you have to convince, thanks.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 24 of 27

fwiw the original post referred to a Code 24. The poster did not say anywhere what his OS is, but a Code 24 seems to be specific to Vista.

The Microsoft page for that error code is

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771552(v=ws.10).aspx

The driver in question is a McAfee firewall file and seems to be up to date but the Microsoft advice implies that this is often a hardware issue.

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in theDevice Status text box:

This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

Diagnosis

The device does not appear to be present. The problem might be bad hardware, removable hardware that is not removed, or a new driver might be needed. Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal.

Resolution

Complete the physical removal of the device.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 25 of 27

Hi cad_technique,

Please respond to my post above so that we can proceed further. Also let me know whether any attempt to Uninstall / Reinstall McAfee has been made by you or the Support Technician. I suspect that this might be due to a corrupt driver for MFE Firewall.

Let's forget about the tool time being however it does the same action as checking FW services status and displaying in a command Window -  this is what I have requested earlier in my post.

Regards

cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 26 of 27

My OS is Vista Ultimate SP2

All services noted are okay (started by system).

As previously stated, although Device Manager is showing a Code 24 under the General tab, it shows the driver status as started under the Driver tab (included screen shots).

I am not working with Tech Support on this issue. Uninstall and reinstall is not an option at this juncture. Too time consuming and, in my opinion, will most likely accomplish nothing.

Thanks for your assistance, sorry if I seem uncooperative (frustrated).

Device_MGR-01.jpg

Device_MGR-02.jpg

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 27

As for the (Code) 24 Error Code. It is (not) Vista Specific. As I stated when this issue presented itself initially to Selvan. It is my understanding the problem at hand,is Microsoft being incapable of noticing that the the particular (Driver) is as stated in the Error Code.

When actually it is indeed implicated,and is operable as I have experienced no issues what-so-ever. as the mentioned driver for the Firewall function, is indeed present,and functioning fine.

I run Windows 7 Service Pack 1, and recieved the same (Error Code) 24.

All the very best,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community