Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seventythree
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

get rid of McAfee security popup in W7

Hi All,

How do I get rid of the McAfee popup in windows 7 "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer, Mcafee Security Center, McAfee Inc.?" which shows up on every bootup and every push of a McAfee icon.?  One McAfee expert told me to lower the user account control level to the next-to-the-bottom level which is indicated as dangerous by Microsoft and did not work anyway.  A second McAfee expert told me to delete all McAfee products and reinstall them.  That didn't work either.  This popup problem on every bootup just started after I renewed my subscription in December which is probably a coincidence.  I sure would like to kill this popup without lowering computer security.

Larry

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: get rid of McAfee security popup in W7

That shouldn't be happening and UAC shouldn't be altered from its default settings except under exceptional circumstances.    I can only wonder if McAfee was installed in the first place by a user with Adminstrative credentials?

Also are there other security programs installed?

That's assuming this is Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated including IE9 (McAfee uses IE regardless of your browser preferences).

Try the Virtual Technician to see if it will fix things:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If not try the following using an Admin-level log in:

Uninstall everything via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

If all that fails then Technical Support is free of charge and available by phone or online chat through Useful Links also.

stanisluv
Contributor III
Message 3 of 3

Re: get rid of McAfee security popup in W7

Create new user account in WN 7 & look what will be under tha new acc.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community