Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ebtechie234
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

after McAfee update media extender disconnects

Hey All,

After I rebooted my computer for a McAffee Ant-viruus suite (from Cox) software update, My Ceton Windows Media Extender will now randomly disconnects,

After looking in the event log I have found the following (BTW i fix computers for a living at a schoold district)

Event 109 Media Center Extender :

An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe', could not retrieve the window title.

The same event appears about a second later then a new event appears

Event 123, Media Center Exender

The Media Center Extender session was terminated because an unauthorized window opened in the session.

McAfee, please re-write your code, otherwise your product will be uninstalled

in another (independant) forum a user had the same issue uninstalled McAfee and the issues stopped and had the same error message as me

Thanks

18 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 19

Re: after McAfee update media extender disconnects

The only way to get this fixed is to tell the developers as they do not read this forum. The best way is to call support and tell them and to escalate the issue. That will get you a job number which you can reference and also get the issue on their radar. I will also pass this up the line.

Oh can you post your version number please for Mcafee security centre

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/11/13 3:50:06 PM
the_upside
Former Member
Message 3 of 19

I've got the same problem. Started in late August 2013 or September 2013.

The XBOX extender disconnects every 3 1/2 minutes or so. Three messages appear in the same series each time.

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe', could not retrieve the window title.

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe', could not retrieve the window title.

Event ID: 123 - The Media Center Extender session was terminated because an unauthorized window opened in the session.

followed by a pause and "The Media Center Extender session was established", then the entire scenario repeats. Will go on for what seems like hours...

I've rebuilt the PC.

Removed every non-essential application. And then found the Event Viewer.

6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

64 bit.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 19

As I mentioned above  call support they need to know this and to log a job number we here cannot assist unfortunately.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 19

There's a thread about this on the WindowsSeven forums. Our original poster was on that one too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/310442-media-center-extender-disconnecting.html

There's a post in there which says the fix is to do the following -

1. Disable Mcafee Vulnerability Scanner

2. Disable McAfee Access Protection

3. Turn off NetGuard.

Now ... this looks like a bit of wild guesswork and a lucky strike rolled up together. (1) and (2) should not affect things at all. (3) though, that might be the one. So turn off NetGuard (in Firewall settings) and see if that works.

mcuicnt.exe, by the way, is the McAfee User Interface container module. Basically, it's the Security Center window.

jacjibin
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

That seems to work as vul scan and access protection is the main culprit

Steps you can do is

Remove mcafee from control panel

Run the mcpr tool

Install mcafee - do a custom installation without the vul scan

Keep access protection unchecked.

These steps have been confirmed to resolve the issue

Developers working on the 13.0 version have confirmed that this issue will be resolved in the next update

tribs
Former Member
Message 7 of 19

I'm having the same problem. the extender disconnects every 2 - 3 minutes.

I tried to get help from McAfee and the support person turned off McAfee but the problem still wouldn't go, so I unsinstalled McAfee and loaded Norton360. it worked like a charm this morning I reinstalled McAfee and back to the same.

do you have any fix for this?.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 19

Did you try Jibin's suggestion he is Mcafee support. Though leaving access protection off is not good. When you removed Norton did you use their renoval tool to get rid of the bits and pieces of it.

tribs
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

well, tried the above. now my media center won't connect .

setup failed because Extender is not able to communicate....just this morning I was able to connect fine but the un-install and install of McAfee messed it up.

any clues?. I turned off the firewall too but no luck.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 19

Best to call support. I will also ping a tech to have a read here.

on 13/01/14 6:58:54 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community