cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_105794
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Windows vista start up problems - help

Having problems with windows vista. About a week ago pc started to freeze up and required rebooting. A couple of days ago, on start up after a reboot, the windows homepage loaded with distorted colours and larger icons. I have been unable to run most programmes although macafee scan has run and identified no issues. Have tried restoring previous settings and running 'last known good configuration' with no success. Would be grateful for any advice.

Claire

3 Replies
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows vista start up problems - help

Good afternoon Claire!

Your problem described is a little puzzling.  Have you tried running a scan with an anti-malware program, such as, Malwarebytes (the FREE version) to further ensure your system doesn't have an infection?

You might also wish to consider posting your inquiry on the Microsoft Answers website as well, since it appears the main problem you're experiencing is related to Windows Vista.  The link to the site is shown below.  Perhaps some of our site moderators and other community members can offer more detailed information/help than I. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista

Best Regards!

user_105794
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Pete - thanks for your help. Malware bytes didnt pick up anything. However, from checking microsoft answers it seemed a lot of people on vista were having problems with the upgrade to internet explorer 9. The problems on my laptop started around the time of the upgrade so i have deleted ie 9 and reinstalled ie8 using instructions on microsoft site. I also went into control panel, personalisation, appearance settings and changed the resolution and changed the display to windows classic. This seems to have put things back as they were but ive no ideas how they changed in the first place!

Everything looks ok now, fingers crossed!

Thanks very much for your help.

Claire

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Hi Claire,

Glad to hear that your issues have been resolved...and hopefully don't recur!  Sometimes, I myself have encountered a problem and have no idea how it occurred, but usually via the help forums here at McAfee and other sites as well...I've generally managed to resolve them.  Please feel free to return here if you encounter issues in the future! 

Best Regards!

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 7/4/11 6:30:40 PM EDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community