cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forum
Contributor III
Message 1 of 10

Windows Defender and McAfee Total Protection compatible?

Jump to solution

I keep getting a message that Windows Defender needs to scan my computer and am not sure what to do.  I have current subscription to McAfee Total Protection and I do not know where windows defender came from.  It (windows defender ) is updated by MS a lot and it keeps wanting me to use it to scan.  I already have my system scanned by McAfee regularly.  OS is windows 7 Prof.

Does anyone know what Windows Defender is, did it come with Widows7?  Is there a problem having it with McAfee Total Protection?  Do I need to get rid of it and, if so, how? how do I get it off or disable it?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Windows Defender and McAfee Total Protection compatible?

Jump to solution

Windows Defender Anti-Spyware is compatible with McAfee. As long as you are running Windows 7 Sp1. However, make certain you do not have Microsoft Security Essentials running as well. For the (RTS) Real Time Scan module will clash /conflict with McAfee.

You can go ahead and (Allow) Windows Defender to scan. Simply make certain it is not scheduled to do so at a time when McAfee is set to scan also.

I failed to mention that (Windows Defender) is part of Windows in itself. This is why you seen it on your system.

All the Best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Consumer Products

Edited: By CatDaddy to add Content.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

9 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Windows Defender Anti-Spyware is compatible with McAfee. As long as you are running Windows 7 Sp1. However, make certain you do not have Microsoft Security Essentials running as well. For the (RTS) Real Time Scan module will clash /conflict with McAfee.

You can go ahead and (Allow) Windows Defender to scan. Simply make certain it is not scheduled to do so at a time when McAfee is set to scan also.

I failed to mention that (Windows Defender) is part of Windows in itself. This is why you seen it on your system.

All the Best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Consumer Products

Edited: By CatDaddy to add Content.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

forum wrote:

I keep getting a message that Windows Defender needs to scan my computer and am not sure what to do.  I have current subscription to McAfee Total Protection and I do not know where windows defender came from.  It (windows defender ) is updated by MS a lot and it keeps wanting me to use it to scan.  I already have my system scanned by McAfee regularly.  OS is windows 7 Prof.

Does anyone know what Windows Defender is, did it come with Widows7?  Is there a problem having it with McAfee Total Protection?  Do I need to get rid of it and, if so, how? how do I get it off or disable it?

Thanks!

Hi forum,

As long as Real-time scanning is turned off, while you are scanning with Windows Defender, you will be fine and Windows Defender will finish faster. I run with Real-time Scanning is set to Never and got no Viruses. However, I do have the McAfee Firewall always on and set to Monitor.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Re: Re: Windows Defender and McAfee Total Protection compatible?

Jump to solution

I don't recommend turning real-time scanning off on a permanent basis as that would mean McAfee is not checking anything at all, nor is it necessary, I find no issues at all running Windows Defender alongside in XP (if manually installed), Vista and Windows 7.

*Exception:  In Windows 8/8.1, Windows Defender is not the same in those OS's as it contains  anti-virus and therefore must NOT be run alongside a 3rd party anti-virus such as McAfee as the two will clash and possibly allow infection in.   It should not be activated at all in 8/8.1 for any reason as long as any 3rd party anti-virus is installed.

In Vista and Windows 7 the installation of McAfee will auto-disable WD as a precaution.  It's OK the reactivate it in those systems as it is not an anti-virus.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter, I failed to mention that WD is also compatible with XP/Vista. The reason I stated as long as one is running Windows 7 Sp1, was as you clearly stated. In Windows 8/8.1 WD has Anti-Virus Capabilities...Which will indeed conflict/clash with McAfee.

In other words, the OP stated he was running Windows 7 Professional.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes. thanks.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

I hope you're reassured by those responses. I too say there's no problem with running Windows Defender alongside McAfee on a Windows 7 machine. They are quite compatible. Windows Defender needs regular definition updates so it can always look for the latest threats, just as McAfee needs them. That's not a problem.

Windows Defender is a genuine Microsoft program, and it comes with Windows 7. It watches for spyware and low-grade threats, but deliberately doesn't do viruses and other high-grade threats, leaving those to dedicated antivirus programs from Microsoft and all the other vendors. It also particularly guards against changes to Windows settings, and when it does a scan it concentrates on those areas relevant to Windows. As a product it's quite useful to have - it's lightweight, mostly unobtrusive,.efficient and above all it comes from a known and trusted source and is safe to run.

I see no reason to panic about it or to try to remove it. One day it might detect and block something and save you a bit of trouble, but in the meantime it just sits there and quietly does its job. Far less demanding than McAfee 

More info :

Windows Defender - Microsoft Windows
Using Windows Defender - Windows Help

forum
Contributor III
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks to Hayton, catdaddy, Ex_Brit and thecreator for your helpful responses and the very useful information.  I read all carefully and will not turn real time scanning off.   I did a search on my c drive and did not find MS Security Essentials and also checked the program folders.  Only Windows Defender was there (and McAfee of course).  Much appreciated, and yes, I am very reassured.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

OK, good luck 😉

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Glad that you have a better understanding and feel assured.

Special thanks to Ex_Brit and Hayton for their helpful contributions....

Wishing all the very Best...

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community