cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mendonsy
Contributor
Message 51 of 59

Re: When I click 'check for updates', DAT version 6809 doesn't update to 6811?

I was able to get MVT to work on 6 PCs (5 running XP Pro & 1 running Win 7 Pro), but it was a bit more elaborate than has been described here.

On one machine I had to go through steps 1 and 2 of thefixit tool http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446http:// to install MVT. On the others I did not.

After running MVT the first time in "Safe Mode with Networking", I rebooted the PC and ran MVT again until the only reported error was a "DAT file out of Date". This took two or three passes.

Once I got rid of the errors I rebooted again and did a manual update to get the current DAT file installed.

This procedure worked on all six PCs and I have not had any problems since. My current DAT is 6824.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 52 of 59

That's great.  If MVT reports a DAT is out of date I don't usually worry about it if it's only 1 or 2 behind what is posted on the Enterprise download page because a) sometimes DAT's are cancelled and b)  I know that it takes a long time for all the servers to update the 40 or 50 million (probably many more) computers world-wide.

engkhsky
Former Member
Message 53 of 59

Well, yes I did that but the next update it still do not auto update (or even click check for update). And then I will have to go download the dat file from http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx again. I ran fixit tool also but the problem is still there. Is there any other way to this problem?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 54 of 59

You mean it wont even check for updates, or it will check for updates and none are available?   That happens, you have to be patient.   Just because the download page says such-and-such DAT is released doesn't mean you should have it within seconds of that time, it takes quite a while to filter through to all the servers.  You would have to wait at least 24 to 48 hours to see if auto-updates are working, assuming you have them turned on in the first place.

The only other solution assuming you've tried uninstalling, MCPR, reinstalling, is to open a case with Technical Support which is free by phone or online chat and available through Useful Links at the top of this page.

engkhsky
Former Member
Message 55 of 59

It will go checking...then 0% then nothing was downloaded. After  a while it will say your computer is at risk because of updates. Well it have been 3 days since then everytime i on com it will say my com is at risk. I have auto update turned on.

My dat version is 6815 and boot dat version is 6802. Looks like I have to call them. haix

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 56 of 59

By the way, looking back I see the problem you had deleting the DAT folder wasn't really addressed.

You have to turn off Access Protection first in order to do that.  Open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation

Click General Settings and Alerts

Click the Access protection 'drawer' to open it

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Keep it open to check it again once the other operation is done.

Another thing to check is your system clock, is that accurate, both time and timezone-wise?

Also don't use any registry cleaners or optimzers or 'PC Health' software as it invariably deletes key parts of McAfee and other software and causes severe malfunctions.

If you've run the Virtual Technician a few times and it doesn't help and tried a complete uninstall, MCPR cleanup, reboot and reinstall from the online account then I think Technical Support is your best bet.

engkhsky
Former Member
Message 57 of 59

My time is correct. It is accurate. Well, I also suspect that maybe some files corrupted so I decide to reinstall. However i reinstall twice the problem still stays so I am thinking of calling Technical Support.

Peacekeeper
Message 58 of 59

That might be best

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 59 of 59

As this thread started with a specific DAT issue that was dealt with weeks ago please post any similar but new issue in a new thread.  Locking this one to prevent spam posts from being added.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community