cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesx
Former Member
Message 11 of 59

Re: When I click 'check for updates', DAT version 6809 doesn't update to 6811?

this morning McAfee said to restart my PC

after restart this is what is shown in "about" ---

security center version 11.0

build 11.0.678

update 08/22/2012

virus scan  version 15.0

build  15.0.302

update 08/22/2012

DAT 6809 created 08/19/2012

firwall version  12.0

build 12.0.360

update 08/22/2012

site advisor version 3.5

build 3.5.0.227

update 08/22/2012

parental control version 13.0

build 13.0.319

update 08/22/2012

anti-theft version 2.0

build 2.0.403

update 08/22/2012

quick clean version 11.0

build 11.0.418

update 08/22/2012

so did McAfee update correctly to DAT 6011 or not

P.S.

manual update says "searching for updates"  and never stops. i let it run for over an hour with no change

i did run a full scan and it ran fine

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 59

Try what the poster before suggested, it works, delete the 6809 folder im Program files/mcaffe/virusscan/dats. Run update and you get a clean 6809 dat.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 59

Just because the Enterprise website says DAT 6811 is available for direct download doesn't mean it is released to all servers.  Just wait and let SecurityCenter catch up itself.   If it says it's up to date, then it's up to date as far as what is currently on the servers.

Mine say 6809 and up to date and I'm happy.    Don't forget that same website said 6807 and 6808 were available at some stage and those are what messed up a lot of peoples' weekends.

duckie
Former Member
Message 14 of 59

Hej Peter,

I would accept your reasoning if I indeed had DAT 6809 on my Windows XP system. My problem is that I still have DAT 6807 - the faulty one, which according to some other posts has disabled a number of functions - and it won't update to DAT 6809 or any other DAT no matter how har I try. I have tried manual update from MSC and command line to no avail lots of times. I don't think it's reasonable to have to reinstall the entire product due to a faulty DAT ? System restore is not a good option for me since it would mean redoing a lot of Windows Updates which I'd rather avoid if possible.

And since all my attempts to manually update give "The programs are up to date" as the result I do not know if there really isn't a newer DAT on the server - seems impossible, att least DAT 6809 should be there? - or if the update function is disabled! I do know though that I am stuck with DAT 6807 which appearently has been source of all the trouble and it's not a good feeling!

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 59

Then you must uninstall, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from the online account.   6807 should definitely be long gone.

kez
Contributor III
Message 16 of 59

My desktop PC (Windows 7 & Google Chrome) was infected with DAT 6807, though it did update to 6809, but problems with Navaigation Center and inability to scan still remain. I have not uninstalled and reinstalled until I know the problem is fixed, as I have been caught in this 'nightmare loop' with McAfee before, and it rarely works (last time I had Tech Support telling me to do just so for TWO WEEKS, before they sorted out the error at their end).

I have a netbook which I rarely use (XP and IE8), so I charged that up and a couple of hours later, I had all the o/s McAfee and Windows updates. I have DAT 6809. I thought that meant I had avoided the problems with that PC at least.

However, if I try to manually update, it looks like it is downloading updates, requires me to reboot, but still shows 6809. I tried to run a full scan (which would normally take 2 hours), left the room to do something enjoyable (anything other than messing about with AV software) and when I came back 10 mins later, it had apparently completed the full scan! Err, no!

It was due to go into a full scan today 22/08/2012 at 12.00, nothing happened (I know it doesn't always do it immediately), so I tried manual update (because I'm impatient), and did the same as above. Rebooted, and the scheduled scan date is 29/08.

Have changed the time for the scan to 14.00, and the date has now reverted to 22/08. What gives?

Losing all confidence in product. The Mods on this forum and great and I thank them hugely for getting involved in this disaster. Without them I don't know what I would do, as Tech Support are useless, and I do not have the stamina to go through what I have before....

I used to panic about PC problems, but my OH (who works in IT, but leaves all the home stuff to me) told me:

'Sooner or later, two things will happen to your PC:

1) it will go wrong

2) it will get a virus

so, if you don't want that to happen, don't use a PC!'

I take a far more pragmatic approach, since digesting his words of wisdom!

It seems to me, however, that McAfee is not behaving as it should, despite assurances to the contrary.

Just off to cancel my DD as renew is looming.

Message was edited by: kez - spell check
on 8/22/12 7:11:54 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 59

Sounds like you'll have to do what I just suggested in my previous post?????

mendonsy
Contributor
Message 18 of 59

I have exactly the same problem so that means a full re-install on six PC's at about two hours each!!

Thanks a lot McAfee!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 59

Well I did 7 on Sunday, sorry.  

duckie
Former Member
Message 20 of 59

Peter,

So not even running the Superdat sdat6809 file would be sufficient? Total reinstallation is absolutely necessary?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community