cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maquery
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

VShield Scanner Stuck

A process VShieldScann (VShield Scanner) frequently gets stuck eating ~50% (and occasionally >90% with 2 stuck) on my MacBookAir running OS X 10.6.8. The Activity Monitor shows the CPU usage but not the process. Only a terminal window with  ">top -o cpu" shows the VShieldScann process(s) running with the high CPU utilization. Seems no way to kill the process or to prevent it starting except to reboot.

Questions:

• Any way to prevent the process from getting stuck and eating the CPU?
  • Any way to kill the process without rebooting?

Thank you for looking at this.

MAquery

13 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 14

Re: VShield Scanner Stuck

Sorry for the deferredresponse . Kindly confirm the below details ;

Verion of Virus scan?

Kindly provide us with a screenshot of your McAfee programs

Regards,

maquery
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Jai Prakash,

Thank you for the response. 

I think the image below has the information.

MAquery

McAfee info 2011-09-20 at 8.46.00 PM.png

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Well, that looks pretty much like a defective McAfee installation. Try uninstalling and reinstalling it and then run MVT again and see what it says.

Your post says this is a MacBookAir and gives us the OS version, but what is the actual McAfee product that you're running? Is it "McAfee VirusScan for Mac"?  And is it a home consumer, or an enterprise version? I've seen a similar question to yours in the corporate area, posted last year.

We don't get too many Mac questions on the forum, so this is an interesting one. I've found lots of references to VShield, a product from VMware, but the name seems to have been around a lot longer than that in connection with McAfee (I've found instructions and user guides from as far back as 2002).

If Jai Prakash comes back with something relevant to your question, I'll hand over the thread to him. You really need someone who understands the product better than I do. If all else fails, you'll have to use the online chat or email option and ask for help from tech support.

maquery
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Jai Prakash and Hayton,

I've uninstalled and reinstalled. The runnaway VShieldScann process returned.  (It typically runs half of the available CPU cycles.)  The process does not appear when first booting up but appears after visiting certain webpages.  I'm still looking to find a guarenteed trigger webpage.

The product is McAfee Internet Security,, home version,  Version 1.0.0.1 (921); Anti-malware, Version: 1.0.0.1 (579), DAT Version: 6500.0000, DAT Creation Date 10/15/11; Appication Protection, Version: 1.0.0.1 (549); Desktop Firewall, Version: 1.0.0.1 (536); SiteAdvisor, Version: 1.2 (125), Affid: 0

The updated MVT results following the current install are below.

Again, thank you for assistance.

MAquery

McAfee MVT MAquery.png

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Im confused , MVT report states that the installed product is a Desktop firewall application , assuming it’s an enterprise program ‘

Could you please post us with a screen shot of your security center , that would help us to assist you quicker

maquery
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Jai Prakash,

Please let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Thanks,

MAquery

MA screen 2011-10-17.png

CarpeDiem
Contributor II
Message 8 of 14

I also have very high CPU usage, 70%, causing the fan to work loudly and often, as in the posts above. This happens on my Macbook Pro using Mac OS Sierra, 10.12.6. and McAfee AntiVirus Plus. How can I remedy this? Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
fossleje
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I also have similar problem.  My i7 cpu MacBook Pro with OS Mojave v10.14.1.  It will sometimes freeze the computer completely.

McAfee Internet Security is: v4.5.5.0 (206)

Affid: 565

Anti Malware: v4.5.5.0 (100)

Firewall: v4.5.5.(108)

Site Advisor: v4.5.5 (115)

GarrettCampbell
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Running MacBook Air (late 2014 model) using OS 10.12.6.  McAfee All Access security 4.5.9.1.  Home computer, not enterprise.

I often in the past 6 mo or so have been noticing slowdowns and near-freezes of the computer,even though I have had McAfee All Access security installed for several years. When I check the Activity Monitor utility I find multiple instances of VShield Scanner running usually using about 250 MB of RAM, or sometimes up to 400 MB or more each. Also several other instances running simultaneously typically using 30-40 MB of ram. Processes belong to root. They have to be force quit to get rid of them and then things will be ok for a while.  However usually soon after there is another slowdown and I find that several instances of VShield Scanner have respawned.  It occurs regardless of what browser is used (Safari, Firefox or Chrome).  The problem seems to be a little worse when using Chrome. (I have a suspicion, but I am not sure, that the problem actually started after I installed Chrome, but uninstalling Chrome did not get rid of it.)

Since the MacBook Air has only 4GB of RAM VShield Scanner is hogging a lot of it  (typically up to 2GB worth).  I am seriously thinking of just dumping McAfee and going with MalWare Bytes alone since this problem does not seem to be fixable.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community